Delete a feature class from a Versioned Feature Dataset.

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 09:53 PM
El_BoukfaouiReda
New Contributor II
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what would be the scenario if a Geodatabase Database Administrator wants to delete a feature
class(From a versioned dataset), in order to import a newly created feature class referring to the same data
content, to that dataset ?

Tech. References:
ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 - Advanced.
MS SQL Server 2008 R2 DB - SDE.

Please help !

Thank you.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
-Reconcile, Post and Compress the database.
-Make sure there are no locks applied to the data.
-Unregister As Versioned
-Take a copy of the Feature Class, if you don't have a proper backup policy.
-Delete the Feature Class.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
-Reconcile, Post and Compress the database.
-Make sure there are no locks applied to the data.
-Unregister As Versioned
-Take a copy of the Feature Class, if you don't have a proper backup policy.
-Delete the Feature Class.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Nidhin's steps are correct if you want to delete the feature class.  You also mentioned something about importing a newly-created feature class "referring to the same data content".  If you want to add a new feature class to your dataset, then use copy/paste, Feature Class to Feature Class, or the Import tool to bring your new data in and then register it as versioned thereafter.  But if the new data you wish to add has the same field structure and geometry type as what you are considering to delete, then consider using Nidhin's steps but instead of the final step of deleting the feature class you could insert your new records by way of the Simple Data Loader (right click feature class in ArcCatalog and pick Load) or by way of copy/paste in an ArcMap edit session or by way of the Append tool.  Each method has its advantages, but my point is that you shouldn't have to delete the feature class and re-create it (along with any of its permissions) if the goal is simply to get new records into it.  In the case I just described, once the new records are loaded you would then re-register it as versioned.
0 Kudos