database connection error

04-04-2017 06:41 AM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

I use an SQL server database connection. Since upgrading to 10.5, My connection is no longer valid, anytime I try to connect I get the dialog: 'Stream Finished'.

What does this mean?

How can I restore my connection?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

What version of SQL Server are you using?

What is the SQL Server client installed, ODBC 13 is to be used with 10.5. Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

Using SQL server 2005.

I installed ODBC 13, no luck

Will Native client work?

Or is SQL server 2005 no longer compatible?

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Well that is the problem. The last time that SQL Server 2005 was supported was back at 10.0. ArcGIS 10 System Requirements 

It stopped being supported and the minimum SQL Server version was 2008 with the 10.1 release. System Requirements 

https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=a6146450-9316-4f95-93df-8b9317561f3...

--- George T.
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III

Ah. Thanks,

Funny that it worked for me up to 10.4 though…

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I would say that was luck and maybe had to do with the SQL Server client being used was compatible with that old of a version.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DanielHowes1
New Contributor II

I had the same "Stream Finished" error when I upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.6 and tried to connect to our old SQL2005 servers.  I uninstalled 10.6 and found that I could connect to the database with 10.4.1 and 10.4 installed, but although I could view data, some processes (e.g. Table to Table with a Where statement) would still fail.  I rolled back again to 10.3.1 and everything is working again.  As George said, I suspect this is more luck than anything else and I wonder if there is other functionality that is not working that I have not noticed (yet).  For now though, I'm going to have to stick with 10.3.1 until we can get our 2005 SQL servers upgraded.

0 Kudos