data in excel file to geogdatabase with domains

06-30-2014 08:05 AM
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have an excel file with lat and long points, I want to convert it to a gdb, with many of the current feilds being domains so that I can easily edit the data in the collector app.    I have about 76,000 points is there an tool that I can use to to this?  Form what I understand the table to domain tool is used to set up the gdb. 

Thanks!
Megan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III
It should be something similar to:

1.  Create your Geodatabase
2.  Use the Table to Domain Tool to create the domains
3.  Create your Feature Class, create fields in your feature class, assign the domains to your fields
4.  Load the data into your Feature Class using the "Load" command - If your field names match those of the header row in your excel they will automatically match up but if they are different you will need to "Match" the fields

Thanks,

Luci
0 Kudos
MeganPerry1
New Contributor III

Thank you Luci,

It worked.  I have lat and long fields in my xlxs file, how would I get them to display in the database so that the point show up on my map?

0 Kudos
LuciHawkins
Occasional Contributor III

I apologize, I steered you in the wrong direction. This is the method to display as spatial data:

1.  Add excel sheet to your map

2.  Right-click on your table in Arcmap and click on "Display XY Data"

3.  Select the X and Y fields and set your projection

4.  Your data should now show up, right-click on the new layer added and click on "Data", then click on "Export Data"

5.  Browse and select your Geodatabase that you want to store the data in and type in the name of the new feature class to be created

6.  Any domains will need to be mapped to the fields in the new feature class

Thanks,

Luci

0 Kudos