Customer Derived Trade Areas Tool: The row contains a bad value.

03-10-2016 09:39 AM
TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

Hello community,

I am trying to run the Customer Derived Trade Areas tool using the Business Analyst toolset.  Basically, I am trying to create a ring which contains 75% of the customer points around a given store location.  Simple to do.. usually.

I am getting the following error when I attempt to run the tool:

ERROR 080002: Failed to write results.;

Function: CConvexHullBuilder::Start;

Can't insert feature.;

Function: CConvexHullBuilder::WriteResult;

The row contains a bad value. [AREA_ID]

Failed to execute (Customer Derived Trade Areas).

The problem is, neither of my input features contains an [AREA_ID] field, so there is no way I can check to see what the "bad value" is because no such field exists in my input features.

The only thing I can think of is that there are fields in my input features that are used to create [AREA_ID] in the new output feature class, that have bad values. Unfortunately I dont know what those fields are, or why I am getting this error.

I have attached screenshots of the results window, of my model, and both of my input FC field names (showing there is no [AREA_ID] field in either of these). I am running ArcMap Desktop Basic 10.3.1. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suspect the area_id field is being created for the output for the file and it is incorrect.  You are using projected data I presume since convex hulls assume that planar coordinates are being used

TylerSchwartz2
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your contribution.  I ended up changing my store_id fields over to integars and the tool ran fine.  And yes, I am using projected data (web mercator).  I read the "bad value" message usually happens when a tool trys to put a value into a field that isnt long enough, based on that I deduced that my string values were being put into the AREA_ID field (which I assumed was a short integar).  So changing the store_ID fields over to integers (1,2,3,etc) indeed fixed my problem.

Also: no clue why there are duplicate threads, I guess its because I marked the question as answered already so it created a new thread because of this??

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

never mind duplicate of this thread https://community.esri.com/message/594329#comment-594329

0 Kudos