creating and saving new features to a new (blank) layer

12-15-2010 09:50 AM
HelenRamsay
New Contributor
I am farily new to ArcGIS so I am not sure how to go about the following.  What I have to do is draw a line to divide my map into a north and south region.  I have a base maps of my provincal boundary (polygon), lakes (polygons), and communities (points) and I need to draw a line from east to west using geographic features (such as lakes) and communites to determine where to put the line.  My question is, can I put the dividing line in a new (blank) layer so that it is not a permanent part of the other layers?  I would like to be able to add it as a layer only when I need to show it.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarsSjoden
Occasional Contributor
There are a few ways you could go about this.

The simplest is to create a new Feature Class.  ArcToolbox/Feature Class/Create Feature Class

Then when you are EDITING to create a NEW LINE, adjust your SNAPPING LAYERS, and SNAPPING parameters to your needs against the LAKES, BOUNDARIES, ROADS, etc so you can use the LAYERS (Feature Class) geometries to guide your NEW LINE.

Try to stay in the same Projection if you need to be accurate within a meter or more
0 Kudos
DonovanCameron
Occasional Contributor II
Add your empty feature class/shapefile to arcmap, and click your Editor button and go to Start Editing. (Assuming you are using V10?)

If you plan on following existing geographic features, look at using the Trace tool.
Hint: When tracing, whatever feature you want your line to follow, it has to be Selected.

There are several ways to select a feature:
...by Location
...by Attribute
...by Graphic

Try to explore the Feature Construction toolbar and the various segment creation tools.
0 Kudos
HelenRamsay
New Contributor
Thanks.  It sounds so simple but now I see what you mean.  I have tried it and have now drawn the line that I wanted to.  Thanks!

There are a few ways you could go about this.

The simplest is to create a new Feature Class.  ArcToolbox/Feature Class/Create Feature Class

Then when you are EDITING to create a NEW LINE, adjust your SNAPPING LAYERS, and SNAPPING parameters to your needs against the LAKES, BOUNDARIES, ROADS, etc so you can use the LAYERS (Feature Class) geometries to guide your NEW LINE.

Try to stay in the same Projection if you need to be accurate within a meter or more
0 Kudos
HelenRamsay
New Contributor
Thanks - this has been a big help.   I have tried it and have now drawn the line that I wanted to.  Thanks!

Add your empty feature class/shapefile to arcmap, and click your Editor button and go to Start Editing. (Assuming you are using V10?)

If you plan on following existing geographic features, look at using the Trace tool.
Hint: When tracing, whatever feature you want your line to follow, it has to be Selected.

There are several ways to select a feature:
...by Location
...by Attribute
...by Graphic

Try to explore the Feature Construction toolbar and the various segment creation tools.
0 Kudos