Creating "Two Point Lines" In V10

03-16-2012 04:24 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dfortson

In Version 9 one could create a "Two point line" by selecting the appropriate target.  In version 10 we no longer have the target feature.  Now, when I draw multiple line segments at one time they do not create individual line segments but one feature.  I then have to go back and split it up with the split tool, a waste of time.  Is there a setting I am missing that will allow me to again create two point type lines?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: BillWillis

You can in fact get the "Task and Target" toolbar and create 2-point line features.  You have to go into the "AdvancedArcMapSettings".  It's usually located in a similar location as this: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Utilities

Under the "Editor" tab, uncheck the "Create features using templates" and apply the changes.  In ArcMap you'll have to add the Editor toolbar.

Good Luck!
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: dfortson

You can in fact get the "Task and Target" toolbar and create 2-point line features.  You have to go into the "AdvancedArcMapSettings".  It's usually located in a similar location as this: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\Utilities

Under the "Editor" tab, uncheck the "Create features using templates" and apply the changes.  In ArcMap you'll have to add the Editor toolbar.

Good Luck!

Thank you!  This solved my problem.  It appears that it is putting this part of the software back to the functionality of V9 instead of the new way of V10.  I have not been using the software enough yet to know if I like the new better than the old or not.  It would seem that ESRI would have made the new software and way of using it generate a two point line as one of the new options since it would seem essential to create two point lines that can each have values assigned to them such as parcel line distance and different tags.  I did not have a problem with the way V9 functioned for this task, so I am pleased with the outcome.
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
If your line layer has COGO attribute fields, two-point lines are created automatically in ArcGIS 10. Otherwise, you would need to split the lines at vertices (such as through the COGO toolbar or a geoprocessing tool).
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: BillWillis

Thank you!  This solved my problem.  It appears that it is putting this part of the software back to the functionality of V9 instead of the new way of V10.  I have not been using the software enough yet to know if I like the new better than the old or not.  It would seem that ESRI would have made the new software and way of using it generate a two point line as one of the new options since it would seem essential to create two point lines that can each have values assigned to them such as parcel line distance and different tags.  I did not have a problem with the way V9 functioned for this task, so I am pleased with the outcome.

I may just be too stuck in the old ways of using the Task and Target, but I definitely think that there were some things that are missing in version 10 that need some tweeking.  Hopefully 10.1 will fix some of my concerns.

I understand the COGO fields being in a line thus automatically creating 2-point lines, but there are situations that I run into where I draw a line that has COGO fields but I want the line to be one solid line, such as streaming a water boundary.  Merging those tiny 2-point line segments can take a long time or make ArcMap crash.
0 Kudos