Creating a geodatabase on a database server fails with a licensing error

Jump to solution
08-09-2013 03:39 AM
MichalWysokinski
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm currently using the evaluation version of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2. In the ArcGis Administrator I have the advanced license selected. I also have an MS SQL Server 2012 Express set up.

Now, I'm able add this server in the Database Server branch however when I'm trying to create a new geodatabase on the server I'm getting the following error: "Error creating this geodatabase. The application is not licensed to perform this operation."

Does this mean, that I won't be able to create geodatabases on the server as long as I use the evaluation version, even though I have the advanced evaluation option selected? Or is the error caused by something else and is misleading?

Cheers,
Michal
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
The link that you mentioned, is actually more concerned with the SDE Enterprise (which is completely different licensing and is not available with Evaluation to the best of my knowledge)

The SDE Personal, which comes free with Desktop installation, only allows Direct Connections...so there is no option of using the sde service connections here.

Try running the SDE Personal setup--> Enable the instnace and then you should be able to create new geodatabases as required..

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Michal,

Did you run the ArcSDE Personal setup to enable the SQL Server Express instance?

Also, in ArcCatalog 10.2--> Click on "Help"--> About ArcCatalog..----> Observe the License type (a Standard or Advanced is required here)

Regards,
0 Kudos
MichalWysokinski
New Contributor II
I have authorized my ArcGIS for Desktop with a standard license and I'm still unable to create a geodatabase. It fails with the exact same error. I found an option to enable enterprise geodatabase first under connections but it asks me for an authorization file. Is this file and enabling necessary?

@asrujit
I don't have ArcSDE installed nor did anything with it. I will use the geodatabase for direct connections only and as stated here I don't need it.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
Untill and unless you install the SDE setup, you cannot create sde geodatabase. You will have to work with simple SQL Server Database.

If you want to work with simple databases, you need to create that from SQl Server Management Studio. After creating the database there...it should show up under the added instance.

Regards,
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
The link that you mentioned, is actually more concerned with the SDE Enterprise (which is completely different licensing and is not available with Evaluation to the best of my knowledge)

The SDE Personal, which comes free with Desktop installation, only allows Direct Connections...so there is no option of using the sde service connections here.

Try running the SDE Personal setup--> Enable the instnace and then you should be able to create new geodatabases as required..

Regards,
0 Kudos
MichalWysokinski
New Contributor II
OK, now I get it.

And how can I get ArcSDE Personal? I don't see any download links on ESRI pages.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
That should be included with the Desktop installation setups.

If you have the setups, run it...the SDE setup should be included in that...below is a screen shot for example:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26612[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps!

Regards,
0 Kudos
MichalWysokinski
New Contributor II
Do I need some special setup file?

I installed my ArcGIS for Desktop as a free trial, authorized with my license later and running the file again doesn't give me these options.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
I am not sure if the SDE Personal is included along with the free trial that you are referring to, as it seems that you just downloaded the setup for ArcGIS Desktop, and I have never personally downloaded a trial.

Maybe someone who has downloaded and used a trial version can help you here.
0 Kudos
JunPalencia
New Contributor
It's a bug since ArcGIS 10.0. Try to run their fix at @ http://support.esri.com/es/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/37983

It worked on my setup with ArcGIS 10.2 trial and SQL Server 2008 R2 Express.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.