create esri_sde service failed

05-07-2013 08:05 AM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, friends,

I am doing MS SQL Server (2012 version) based ArcSDE (10.1). I followed the installation guide to do create and start the service. But when I started the service, it is always failed. No matter what I do, I always get the error message of "The ArcSDE Service (esri_sde) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".

Since I am following the installation guide and I want to create the service on the local server machine, I want to ask experts questions based on the steps.

1. for creating the service, I use the default service name, which is esri_sde. My machine name is TEST1, and the SQL Server instance name is: MSSQLSERVER.
In the sample command line: sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -i sdesvc -p keepout
For the d parameter, if I use TEST1\MSSQLSERVER, it gives me the error message: Database service MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER does not exist. Use option -n to exclude MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER from ArcSDE dependent service..
If I use only machine name, it works.
For me, the working command line is: sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER,CATEVAC2 -p keepout.

2. for register operation of ADMIN_DATABASE , the sample command is:
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -r ADMIN_DATABASE -v mygdb
In my case, I changed MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE to TEST1.
My questions are: what is ADMIN_DATABASE?
How to set it? There is no database mygdb in the instance.
Should this database pre-exist? I created a sde database by using the Database Management Studio, and I changed "mygdb" to "sde".
So, in my case, the register database opertion command line is:
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,TEST1 -r ADMIN_DATABASE -v sde

3. for register operation of SDE_DBA_USER, the sample command is:
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -r SDE_DBA_USER -v "localhost\network service" -i sdesvc
I changed MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE to TEST1 and removed -i sdesvc since I want to use the default service name. So, my working verion of command line is:
sdeservice -o modify -d SQLSERVER,TEST1 -r SDE_DBA_USER -v "localhost\network service"

In my case, three commands were executed successfully. But when I tried to start up the esri_sde, I got error messages as I mentioned before.

Any else setting that I left out?

Thanks for any help.

-Mike
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VietLe1
New Contributor
I'm experience the same issue after upgrade 10.0 to 10.1. Have you found any solution to this problem?

Thank you,

Viet

Hi, friends, 

I am doing MS SQL Server (2012 version) based ArcSDE (10.1). I followed the installation guide to do create and start the service. But when I started the service, it is always failed. No matter what I do, I always get the error message of "The ArcSDE Service (esri_sde) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs".  

Since I am following the installation guide and I want to create the service on the local server machine, I want to ask experts questions based on the steps. 

1. for creating the service, I use the default service name, which is esri_sde. My machine name is   TEST1, and the SQL Server instance name is:   MSSQLSERVER
In the sample command line: sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -i sdesvc -p keepout 
For the d parameter, if I use TEST1\MSSQLSERVER, it gives me the error message:   Database service MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER does not exist. Use option -n to exclude MSSQL$MSSQLSERVER from ArcSDE dependent service..  
If I use only machine name, it works.  
For me, the working command line is:   sdeservice -o create -d SQLSERVER,CATEVAC2 -p keepout

2. for register operation of ADMIN_DATABASE , the sample command is:  
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -r ADMIN_DATABASE -v mygdb 
In my case, I changed MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE to TEST1.  
My questions are: what is ADMIN_DATABASE?  
How to set it? There is no database mygdb in the instance.  
Should this database pre-exist? I created a sde database by using the Database Management Studio, and I changed "mygdb" to "sde".  
So, in my case, the register database opertion command line is: 
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,TEST1 -r ADMIN_DATABASE -v sde 

3. for register operation of SDE_DBA_USER, the sample command is: 
sdeservice -o register -d SQLSERVER,MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE -r SDE_DBA_USER -v "localhost\network service" -i sdesvc 
I changed MYSERVER\SSINSTANCE to TEST1 and removed -i sdesvc since I want to use the default service name. So, my working verion of command line is: 
sdeservice -o modify -d SQLSERVER,TEST1 -r SDE_DBA_USER -v "localhost\network service" 

In my case, three commands were executed successfully. But when I tried to start up the esri_sde, I got error messages as I mentioned before. 

Any else setting that I left out? 

Thanks for any help. 

-Mike
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
We esperienced the same problem. The services were created and registered successfully, but would not stay started.

"ArcSDE Service....started and then stopped. Some services stop sutomatically if they were not in use by other services or programs"

Please post a resolution if you found one.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
There are dozens, if not hundreds, of reasons for service start to fail (the biggest reason
is not having created the database, or executed Create Enterprise Geodatabase).  You'd
need to provide a lot more information on your environment, configuration, and error
messages before anyone here could help.  Tech Support is probably your most reliable
way to work through install failure issues.

- V
0 Kudos