Could not compute the union geometry of primary datasets in the mosaic dataset.

01-21-2020 08:29 AM
RobertYarbrough
New Contributor III

I'm getting the following error message when attempting to add .tiff files to a mosaic dataset, and selecting "Update Boundary".  

"Could not compute the union geometry of primary datasets in the mosaic dataset."

This happens when adding the data to an empty mosaic dataset in an enterprise geodatabase, and I see it sometimes when adding files to a mosaic dataset in a file geodatabase as well, though it doesn't seem to start happening until after a few hundred files have been added first.  

I've tried searching for this exact error message, and it doesn't appear anywhere that I can find.  

Any help would be appreciated!

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Robert, did you ever solve this problem? I'm trying to build a large mosaic dataset and can't find a resolution for this error. 

0 Kudos
MatthewBeauchamp
New Contributor

Did either of you ever find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
MatthewBeauchamp
New Contributor

Update, I've not found a way to repair the mosaic dataset once this happens. It seems that the boundary becomes corrupted and can't be fixed. I did find a workaround by setting the NO_BOUNDARY value when adding rasters to the mosaic dataset. It works for me as I don't make use of the boundary, but still not the best solution.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that update, @MatthewBeauchamp ! I will try this, I don't think we ever resolved the issue over here. 

0 Kudos