Converting Shapefiles to Rasters to create a single land use map

Jump to solution
07-02-2012 10:03 AM
PatrickMiller
New Contributor
Hello,

I'm looking for some help here. It seems I have found 78 different ways to NOT accomplish what I'm looking for and I am hitting a wall now. I have a feeling the solution is right in front of me but I can't see it.

Background:
I need to create a single urban land-use raster file of my university to run a stormwater simulation using SUSTAIN (an EPA model add-on for ArcGIS 9.3). I started with an aerial image of my campus and created shapefiles for the various land uses such as classroom buildings, administrative buildings, sports grass, etc. For each type of land-use there is a specific numeric code. For example, "110" is associated with the land-use Classroom Building. Each shapefile has an attribute column that has the appropriate numeric code. I then converted the 24 shapefiles into 24 rasters using the "Polygon to Raster" conversion tool. The "Value" column for each raster file has the land-use code.

Now I need to create a single raster file that combines all 24 raster files but still perserves the land-use code and each raster file is displayed in a different color. I attached a screen capture of the land use raster file that I am using as an example for what I am trying to create.

Any help would be great.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15670[/ATTACH]

--Pat--
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Run the Mosaic to New Raster tool.  Optionally, you could have run Merge on all the polygons to create one polygon feature class with all codes, and then converted that to raster.

Regards,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Run the Mosaic to New Raster tool.  Optionally, you could have run Merge on all the polygons to create one polygon feature class with all codes, and then converted that to raster.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
PatrickMiller
New Contributor
Thank you! I tried the Mosaic to New Raster and got an error about the raster files have different pixel sizes. Instead of trying to solve that issue, I went back and merged the shapefiles and then created my single raster! There are some gaps in the data but those won't be a problem.

Thank you!
0 Kudos