Converting geoJson to shapefile

07-24-2014 04:35 PM
JoshuaWiebe
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to ArcGIS, and even newer to Python, or Java. I'm trying to convert a geojson file to a more usable format (.shp, .lyr; anything ArcMap can read), but I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

I have found an incredible file that I'm using for a university project, and I'd love to use it - can someone help me? The file is titled "pipelineroute.geojson" and it's located here -> geodatabc/NorthernGatewayPipeline · GitHub

Using (or attempting to use) Ogre (Ogre - ogr2ogr web client‌) has made my head spin........

Is there anyone who can helpp me convert (or convert the file for me?) Thank you so much in advance

Tags (2)
16 Replies
ChristopherBrown4
New Contributor III

Hi There,

I will write this assuming you have access to ArcGIS for Desktop. In the Toolbox inside of ArcMap or ArcCatalog there is a tool specifically for this purpose called "JSON to features", it is found in the conversion toolbox.

More information can be found here ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Have a great day,

CDB

JoshuaWiebe
New Contributor II

Thank you so much; unfortunately, this didn't work. I changed the filetype from geojson to json in the properties of the file (converting the original geojson gave an error.) I used both arccatalog and arcmap to convert the altered JSONto features - I got error 001558 - error parsing json file.

0 Kudos
ChristopherBrown4
New Contributor III

Sorry Joshua, I miss spoke that tool is specifically for the JSON created by the Features to JSON tool, or ArcGIS Feature Services. OK so another way you can do it is to use the Data Interoperability tools. If you did a complete installation of ArcGIS for Desktop and also installed the Data Interoperability extension (which resides on the same disc image) The you have the ability to use the Toolbox corresponding to the extension. If you have a license for this and it is enabled in the ArcMap interface then you can use the Data Interop Quick Import to convert from GeoJSON to any other format in the available list.

GeoJSON.PNG

I hope this helps,

CDB

ÖmerÜNSAL
New Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

Data Interoperability > Quick Import tool convert only first object in geojson file.

I added to this text a sample geosjon file.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

GeoJSON always consists of a single object, see here:  GeoJSON Specification

If you want all those points then you'll need them to be a feature collection.

With respect to the NZ places the coordinates are wrong too, if the points are anything to do with the attributes.

Regards

0 Kudos
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

Try Mapshaper - its pretty straight forward:

mapshaper

Hope this helps.

~Alice

AlmazNaizghi
New Contributor III

Hi Alice,

Thank you for the mapshaper. It is short step and straight forward.

I was able to convert the GeoJSON  to shapefile.

Regards,

Almaz

FlorianCADOZ
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alice, Joshua and all the others,

You can also use the wonderfull online converter : GeoJSON to SHP Converter Online - MyGeodata Cloud 

Work well with a lot of format ! 😃

0 Kudos
AndreaParish
New Contributor

mapshaper worked like a charm!

0 Kudos