Convert world shaded relief map layer to raster data

03-21-2013 02:53 AM
JoelLlewellyn-Eaton
New Contributor
Have a world shaded relief map downloaded from arcgis online and open alongside an attribute table of XY data that displays the coordinates of a drainage basin boundary. Want to use the hillshade tool to emphasise/change the elevation boundaries and apply a suitable colour shading....a) when I open the hillshade option it asks for an input (i.e. the world relief map layer??) but continues to say this is the wrong format - I recognise it's not a raster file so how do i convert that layer so it's compatible? b) is it possible to change the contour shading? (i.e. 50m boundaries into 10m boundaries) because have a very low lying region with little altitude change....

Any help would be much appreciated - been banging head against a wall for a while now!
Cheers in advance
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
To create a hillshade you need a DEM. The world shaded relief map -- even if it was a raster would not be acceptable.

Consider using the World Elevation image service. For this you currently need to enroll in the beta. http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/imagery/01850000000m000000.htm
0 Kudos