Convert Grid to ASCII with .asc-etention It doesnt work in ArcGIS10

01-12-2011 06:40 AM
KarinHenrikson
New Contributor II
Hi,
I am trying to convert a raster GRID to an ascii file in ArcGIS10 using the tool "Raster to Ascii". However, when I choose the .asc-file in the save as, the program always still adds ..txt extenstion(yes double dots!) . When I then try to add the ..txt-file  in ArcMap it doest work. I guess .txt-files don't work to load as layers.
I then tried to change the extentsions in windows explorer to .asc and then add the data. I can load it in my data frame but it all behaves very strange, only apperas in certain zoom-levels etc.

In ArcGIS 9.3.1 it is possible to choose the .asc-extenstion directly in the tool, and it works fine. How can I do this in ArcGIS10? Has anyone experienced the same problem and have a solution?

Karin Henrikson
WSP Sweden
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KarinHenrikson
New Contributor II
My solution when I tried again, was to change the ..txt just to .asc, and then calculate the statistics.
Another problem that apperad was that although my GRID was a 32 bit floating point, ArcMap read the asc-file it like an 32 bit integer. What I had to do was to go in to the text-file and change my first values, which were  -9999 (NoData) to -9999.0  . Then ArcMap did "understand" the file was floating point.

What also is important is to have the regional settning in Windows set to american or english, so the decimal will be a point (.) not comma (,) which is the standard i for example in Sweden.

/Karin
0 Kudos