convert coverage 'arc' file to geodatabase

09-04-2012 11:55 AM
SamCoggins1
New Contributor III
So I'm trying to convert an 'Arc' feature class that's held within a coverage to a geodatabase feature class. The coverages also contain tic, point, and annotation features, all of which convert with a problem. If I create the geodatabase and then import the coverage files, they all copy over, except the 'arc' file. The tool does not tell me the 'arc' file hasn't copied, good job I kept the coverage! I have also tried: Copy, Copy Features, and Feature to Polygon... none of them worked. The error message I get is:

ERROR 000732: Input Features: Arc does not exist or is not supported

Now here's the strange thing... the arc feature class won't copy over in Python or in Arc Catalog, but if I use the exact same parameters in ArcMap I can get the arc feature class into the geodatabase without a problem... Another ESRI glitch???

So anyone have a fix for me? All my service packs are up-to-date, just haven't converted from 10.0 to 10.1 yet...

UPDATE:

I can use the Feature Class to Geodatabase tool in ArcMap and it converts, no problem... I can run the same tool in model builder (within ArcMap), no problem. When I save the model as a script and run it, then it refuses. Slowly but surely driving me insane...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Sam,

I wanted to see if you have looked into one of our extensions, the Data Interoperability extension tool. This extension has only two tools within it, the Quick Import and Quick Export. You are able to download it for a 60 day trial, this allows you to convert all aspects of a coverage into and from a Geodatabase, which should include the "Arcs" which is what you are looking for. Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues. Gracias, Sam!

ArcGIS Data Interoperability
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/datainteroperability

An overview of the Data Interoperability toolbox
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//001600000002000000
0 Kudos