Connection to database 'xxxxx' failed Error creating ArcSDE direct connection (-9).

09-23-2010 06:09 AM
SelcanGuner
New Contributor
I try to install ArcSDE (10) for SQLServer 2008. When I do post install I get an error during repository setup process which says "The ArcSDE repository unsuccessfully completed".In the txt file details are:

Connection to MyDatabase failed(0)

ESRI ArcSDE Server Setup Utility ....... Sep ............
----------------------------------------------------------------
Error creating ArcSDE direct connection (-9)

It does not move on post install .. Do you have any idea what is the problem and the solution for it.. Thank you for spending time on my problem..
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DOCGIS_Support
New Contributor II
I try to install ArcSDE (10) for SQLServer 2008. When I do post install I get an error during repository setup process which says "The ArcSDE repository unsuccessfully completed".In the txt file details are:

Connection to MyDatabase failed(0)

ESRI ArcSDE Server Setup Utility ....... Sep ............
----------------------------------------------------------------
Error creating ArcSDE direct connection (-9)

It does not move on post install .. Do you have any idea what is the problem and the solution for it.. Thank you for spending time on my problem..

Same happened to us. Never had the time to properly pinpoint the problem (might be connected to leftovers from uninstalling 9.3.1). Anyway, reinstalling SQL Server 2008 solved the problem.
0 Kudos
MitraAkbari
New Contributor
Same here.  Installing ArcSDE 10 on AIX 6.1 with oracle 11gR2. running the sdesetup utility
give us the error.
    sdesetup -o install -d ORACLE11G -s orsotest -u sde -l $SDEHOME/etc/ecp.dat
0509-136   Symbol fc_softc (number 94) is not exported from
                   dependent module /usr2/oracle/11201/lib/libclntsh.so.

Connection to sde failed(0)

Error creating ArcSDE direct connection (-1)

Anybody has installed SDE10 successfully on AIX 6.1?

thank you for any idea or solution..
0 Kudos
JacksonTrappett
Occasional Contributor II
Anybody figure this one out?  We are getting this too and I haven't been able to find an answer.

My details:
-Setting up a new ArcSDE 10.0 database on ArcSDE Server 64-bit (win 2008 server 64-bit)
-SQL Server 2008 64 bit
-Fails at repository setup with error:
     Connection to [databasename] failed(0)
     Error creating ArcSDE direct connection (-493).

I checked and the database has been created on the db server, and has the correct permissions, etc.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
I just encountered the same error on a new VM server? Was there any solution found?

Anybody figure this one out?  We are getting this too and I haven't been able to find an answer.

My details:
-Setting up a new ArcSDE 10.0 database on ArcSDE Server 64-bit (win 2008 server 64-bit)
-SQL Server 2008 64 bit
-Fails at repository setup with error:

I checked and the database has been created on the db server, and has the correct permissions, etc.
0 Kudos
NAOMIPAUL
New Contributor III
Error -493 During Post Install
I was setting up ArcSDE 10 on a VM server for testing, with SDE & SQL on different servers.

I just encountered the same error on a new VM server? Was there any solution found?

According to the Help:
http://help.arcgis.com/EN/ArcGISDesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00050000000s000000.htm

Beginning with ArcGIS 10, the SQL Native Client 2008 is installed with ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Server, and ArcReader, and can optionally be installed with ArcGIS Engine. If you need a different version of the SQL Native Client, download it from the Microsoft Download Center.

Solution
�?� Download the Feature Pack from Microsoft Support
�?� (SQL Server  2008 Native Client is inside)
�?� Install the x64 version on the VM server with ArcSDE 10
0 Kudos
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor
I had similar issues as well.  I contacted Systems here at the ESRI offices and these were the steps taken to resolve the issue:

1. Set SQL Server Authentication mode to mixed mode (Windows and SQL Server authentication) 2. Enable tcp/ip and named pipe protocols for SQL Server 3. Add the sde SQL Server authentication account to the db_owner database role in the sde database 4. Restart SQL Server service 5. Verify you can connect to the SQL Server instance using the sde SQL Server authentication account 6. Re-attempt the post install
0 Kudos
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II
Hey Jase - You are sooooo cool. It works for bit. Thanks for that (I was beginning to do my head in).

I had similar issues as well.  I contacted Systems here at the ESRI offices and these were the steps taken to resolve the issue:

1. Set SQL Server Authentication mode to mixed mode (Windows and SQL Server authentication) 2. Enable tcp/ip and named pipe protocols for SQL Server 3. Add the sde SQL Server authentication account to the db_owner database role in the sde database 4. Restart SQL Server service 5. Verify you can connect to the SQL Server instance using the sde SQL Server authentication account 6. Re-attempt the post install
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
I am having this exact same issue.  I have 4 servers, 2 for test and 2 for production.  Each pair is an "apps" server and the other is the "data" server.  Running out install on SQL Server 2008 R2, on VMWare virtualized machines.  I have the exact same issue as the others noted here, specifically,

When I run the post-install (with the DBO schema), it allows me to create the database, but it dies before the repository can be configured (with the noted error message).  When I try it with the SDE schema, it gives me a SQL State native error: 3809496, which I can't find too much about. 

So I first followed Jason's solution:

and it's still broken.  So then I noted Naomi Paul's solution:

Solution
�?� Download the Feature Pack from Microsoft Support
�?� (SQL Server 2008 Native Client is inside)
�?� Install the x64 version on the VM server with ArcSDE 10

but I do not want to install ArcSDE 10 with the SQL Server software. 

So what am I missing here?  Any thoughts or ideas?
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
FYI - I dialed up tech support for help with this.  If somebody else comes across the same issue: the sql native client has to be installed on BOTH the app server AND the data server (where data and app separation is used).
0 Kudos