Combine two feature classes with different attributes

07-25-2017 08:44 AM
HeatherHerrmann2
Occasional Contributor

I have two point feature classes that I'd like to put into a single feature class while keeping all fields/attributes for both feature classes.  I'm stumped after google'ing possibilities and digging through the toolboxes.   I searched here too but didn't see my question.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you try Merge—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .

All fields in the output dataset and the contents of those fields can be controlled using the Field Map control.

Think Location
HeatherHerrmann2
Occasional Contributor

So I copied one feature class and pasted to the other. And it worked. Surprised. 

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did all the fields of the source layer get copied to the target layer?

Think Location
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

So I copied one feature class and pasted to the other. And it worked. Surprised. 

Me too.  It may have copied the geometry, but give the attribute tables are different, a simple copy and paste couldn't have worked for them.  Personally, I would create an empty feature class with an attribute table of what you really want/need and then use the simple data loader to load each original feature class into the new one, mapping attributes as you go.

That should just about do it....
HeatherHerrmann2
Occasional Contributor

Yes Jayanta, it did work.

Joe, between the two feature classes, I was able to copy from one to the other but not the opposite way around.  

Basically, I had a table of addresses (We'll call it Table A) that I had X & Y values for that I easily generated 500+ points from.  The attributes obviously remained the same.  I had a second table of roughly 30 addresses (we'll call it Table B) that had no X & Y values. So I geocoded them and took care of the unmatched/tied addresses to get as many accurate points as I could.  That process of course, generated extra fields.  The table for this one also had a couple more fields than Table A prior to the geocoding.

My ultimate goal was simply to get all of the resulting points from both feature class A (from Table A) and feature class B (From Table B) into one feature class.  It wasn't a concern if I ended up with all fields of both, included in the final output because I was just going to be using the points for a density map.  

Initially, I tried to copy/paste from feature class B to feature class A.  It didn't like that.  So for grins, I tried to copy the opposite way around.  I was able to do that successfully.  Basically, all of the fields I had from feature class B, are empty for the features I copied from feature class A in the output.  I'm still trying to figure out why it worked one way but not the other. 

Thank you both for your replies.  

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hmmm.  I'm a little confused but just so long as you are happy:

I'd like to put into a single feature class while keeping all fields/attributes for both feature classes.

It wasn't a concern if I ended up with all fields of both, included in the final output because I was just going to be using the points for a density map.  

----->Basically, all of the fields I had from feature class B, are empty for the features I copied from feature class A in the output.<-----

That's pretty much what I meant.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
HeatherHerrmann2
Occasional Contributor

I didn't interpret it the same I guess.  My apologies.  I'm pretty new to doing things like this so terminology and such throw me off sometimes.  

Thank you so much for your help though.  Very much appreciated.  

0 Kudos