CIR Aerial Images - Which is NIR band?

07-04-2013 01:36 AM
GeospatialTechnology
Occasional Contributor
Hello, I've been given some historical CIR Aerial Images to work with. However they have no documentation. I want to combine the NIR band from the CIR with the RGB bands from accompanying RGB Aerial images. However I have no idea which band the NIR is! There's 3 bands to choose from: 1, 2 and 3. What I was wondering is if it is conventional to put the NIR band in band 1 or is there someway of working it out when there is no metadata!! :S
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If there are three bands and it appears as color infrared now, then you may have a different issue. The red band probably has been replaced by the infrared band, giving it the reddish appearance.  With that in mind, you do not have a red band now. I don't know if that specifically answers your question or how willing you are to experiment with re creating a red band, but my initial take is that the infrared band is the first band in that case.  Here are some common band combinations.
0 Kudos
by
New Contributor III
Thanks jbswain that link contains a wealth of information. I managed to extract band 1 from the CIR image. I'm assuming this is the correct one. Many thanks. I have another question but I will create a new thread
0 Kudos