Changing The Annotation Reference Scale

Jump to solution
02-25-2013 12:49 PM
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
I am using ArcGIS 10.1 and I am trying to change the reference scale for an annotation layer that I have in my model.  In the properties of the layer, the reference scale is grayed out.  I tried changing the reference scale through ArcCatalog, as was mentioned in another post, but that was grayed out also. 

The annotation layer was created by converting labels to annotation in 10 different maps and I didnt realize that I had to have each map at the same scale when I converted the labels to an annotation layer in order for the annotation on the maps to be similar. 

How can change the reference scale?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Tom,

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but do you have both ArcMap and ArcCatalog open?

-Melanie S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MelanieSummers
Hi Tom,

Are you in an editing session? If so, you will not be able to change the Reference Scale until you end your editing session.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
Hi Melanie, no, I am not in an editing session when I try to change the scale.  I have actually tried it both ways and it is always grayed out.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Tom,

Are you accessing the properties through the Catalog Window in ArcMap or stand alone ArcCatalog?

Melanie S.
0 Kudos
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
I tried it both ways and still the same results.  Here are screen captures of the dialog boxs for both attempts.  The ArcCatalog image is for a different file than the one showing the properties within ArcGIS, but all 10 file/annotation layers are acting the same.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22157[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Tom,

Sorry if this sounds redundant, but do you have both ArcMap and ArcCatalog open?

-Melanie S.
0 Kudos
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
I may have had them both open.  I will try them one at a time.
0 Kudos
ThomasBurke2
New Contributor II
You hit on it, ArcCatalog cannot change the reference scale on any file if ArcGIS is open.  Even if ArcGIS is opened to a blank map that is not referencing the layer in question.  Having ArcGIS opened must be automatically disabeling some of the features in ArcCatalog.  I know some tools only work in ArcGIS even though they are present in ArcCatalog, and some tools only work in ArcCatalog even though they are present in ArcGIS, but this is the first time I have seen one program disable previously working features in the other just by opening the program.
MelanieSummers
Hi Tom,

You should only be seeing the issue after opening the properties of the annotation in one of the applications. When you open the properties of an object in either ArcMap or ArcCatalog, it is being seen as open in-memory which is why you have to close one of the applications to be able to view it in the other.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
DanaNolan

I am still having this problem too. Last night, all users were off my SDE db, ArcMap was closed, ArcCatalog just opened (and closed/opened more than once after a reboot), but yet the ability to change the reference scale was still grayed out. I really don't see where the lock is coming from.

0 Kudos