Cannot start SDE after Upgrading it from 10.0 to 10.1

01-29-2013 01:23 AM
User35489
Occasional Contributor III
Hi There,

After upgrading from ArcSDE 10.0 to ArcSDE 10.0 on RHEL 6.2, Oracle 11gR2_64bit i face the below issue while trying to start sde

DB_open_instance () ::db_connect (OCIB) error: -1
init_DB DB_instance_open_as_dba: -51
DBMS error code: -1
Could not start Arcsde -- check network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde

I checked information into my dbinit.sde file, services and env file. The entries are correct.

Please share your ideas to resolve the issue

Thanks in advance
-AS
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
How did you upgrade?  (What exact steps did you use, on each host?) 

Did you apply SP1 to both the Desktop and RHEL binaries before upgrading?

- V
0 Kudos
User35489
Dear vangelo,

I upgraded using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 without service pack. Later i upgraded Desktop and ArcSDE to SP1.
Do you mean any redhat packages by RHEL binaries, if yes can you please send me the link to refer the required things.

Still the same error

Thanking you
-AS
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
In order to start an application server, it must be at the same release as the database
contents.  When you upgraded the client and binaries, but didn't upgrade the database,
you prevented successful startup.  You need to repeat the desktop upgrade procedure
(Direct Connect as the SDE user, and upgrade with an SP1 Desktop) in order to make
the database compatible with your application server.

- V
0 Kudos
User35489
Dear VAngelo

I applied the service pack 1 for ArcGIS desktop10.1, now it does not shows me the option of Upgrade Geodatabase(disabled).

and when i tried to issue the command sdemon or sdeupdate(for key) returned me the errors respectively

DB_open_instance()::db_connect (OCIB) error: -1
init_DB DB_instance_open_as_dba:-51
DBMS error code: -1

&

Error: Underlying DBMS error (-51).
Error upgrading authorization key.

Observation: i noticed giomgr.defs file missing in the etc directory

Thanks
Highly appreciate your kind help
-AS
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
Hi,

first of all check the contents of logs in $SDEHOME/etc (for example, sde_esri_sde.log)

double check with with the contents of the following files (services.sde,dbinit.sde)

double check your environment variables and check that you can execute "sqlplus" within your shell as "sde" Linux User.
if you can't sqlplus then its a 'sticky bit' issue:

cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
ls -l oracle
chmod  6751 oracle

* concerning your remakr about "giomgr.defs " file, the file should exist under $SDEHOME/etc. if not, you need to re-install the ArcSDE 10.1 binary again.

* from personal experience: when i upgrade from major version to another (i take backup of the following files : giomgr.defs,dbtune.sde) just in case.

update us please if you have resolved it and share the soultion.

Thanks,
Emad Al-Mousa
0 Kudos
User35489
Hi There,

We resolved the error recently after going through various oracle database�??s and SDE�??s configuration. It was the conflict between the ORACLE_HOME and TWO_TASK variables.

Thank you all for support

-Abdullah
0 Kudos