Cannot find DBMS Support files - ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 & PostgreSQL 9.1.3

Jump to solution
03-21-2013 06:59 AM
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi folks,

On the Esri Customer Care portal, I am able to see the PostgreSQL DBMS for Windows download, however this one makes up the Windows PostgreSQL 9.0.5 client libraries. I am looking for the 9.1.3 as specified by the system requirements page and the Esri KB article.

I guess the 9.0.5 libraries will not work for 9.1.3? If they do, this probably should be reflected in the readme file that comes with the download. If they don't, does anyone know where those support files can be obtained?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Alexei,
Sorry, you are quite correct the 9.1.3 postgres client libs were not placed on the Customer Care Portal.
A different delivery vehicle for these libraries was devised but it is still in the works.
If you are on linux, than all you need is the rpm that postgres distributes (for the operating system you are on)
If you are on windows, than you will need to tease them out the the Postgres installation, as Postgres does not distribute a package with just the libs. Here is a list of what you need on windows:
libeay32.dll
libiconv-2.dll
libintl-8.dll
libpq.dll
ssleay32.dll

The names of the libraries are the same for 32bit or 64bit, if you need the 32bit Postgres libs, than install the 32bit Postgres version of 9.1.3, for 64bit install the 64bit version. Sorry to be obvious, but of course they are not interchangeable.

As to the question do the 9.0.5 libs work with 9.1.3, I think they will to some extent,  although 9.1.3 has introduced some changes in the initialization parameters which  would not be available with the 9.0.5 libs. We test the highest version of libs with the lower version of the server, not other way around so my answer is theoretical.

Most Sincerely,
Kasia

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Have you tried using the 9.0.5 client libraries?   I can't think of any reason they wouldn't
work (though I haven't needed to try them against a 9.1.3 server yet myself).

Building your own 9.1.3 libraries is trivial on Linux, but more of a challenge on Windows.
Hacking the client libs out of a 32-bit 9.1.3 binary install is tedious, but doable.

- V
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Thanks Vince, it seems as the libraries do work indeed fine. The readme file was a bit confusing for me who does not work with PostgreSQL on the daily basis. 🙂 PostGIS 2.0 did install fine too and I am able to use the PG_GEOMETRY in ArcMap with the 9.0.5 libraries obtained from the Customer Care Portal (DBMS Support Files).
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
Alexei,
Sorry, you are quite correct the 9.1.3 postgres client libs were not placed on the Customer Care Portal.
A different delivery vehicle for these libraries was devised but it is still in the works.
If you are on linux, than all you need is the rpm that postgres distributes (for the operating system you are on)
If you are on windows, than you will need to tease them out the the Postgres installation, as Postgres does not distribute a package with just the libs. Here is a list of what you need on windows:
libeay32.dll
libiconv-2.dll
libintl-8.dll
libpq.dll
ssleay32.dll

The names of the libraries are the same for 32bit or 64bit, if you need the 32bit Postgres libs, than install the 32bit Postgres version of 9.1.3, for 64bit install the 64bit version. Sorry to be obvious, but of course they are not interchangeable.

As to the question do the 9.0.5 libs work with 9.1.3, I think they will to some extent,  although 9.1.3 has introduced some changes in the initialization parameters which  would not be available with the 9.0.5 libs. We test the highest version of libs with the lower version of the server, not other way around so my answer is theoretical.

Most Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Kasia,

Great, thank you. I was able to copy the libraries (I am on Windows 64bit, using Desktop SP1). Found a great tutorial on implementing the PostGIS workflows by enabling the geodatabase as well: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Tutorial_Getting_started_with_geodatabases.... A bit tricky part with the PostgreSQL for the Desktop users is that we have to install both x86 and x64 versions of the PostgreSQL since we need 32bit libraries to copy for ArcMap (which is a 32bit application) but I work towards the x64 installation of the DBMS (so I have to copy the st_geometry library). Anyways, the help is well structured, so this should be enough for users to get started.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated!
0 Kudos