Can you georeference to one of the ESRI basemaps, such as "World Street Map?"

Jump to solution
06-01-2014 07:30 PM
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II
I have been trying to geoeference a Sanborn map to the ESRI basemaps, such as "World Street Map."  I am not having terrific luck, but it seems that the Sanborn map does adjust somewhat.  Is it far better to georeference to an orthophoto or can a person use the Esri basemaps?

I have been looking on the forums and in Google for the answer to this question over the last couple of days, but couldn't find an answer.  Appreciate the help.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III
This really depends on your accuracy requirements and the intended purpose of the georeferenced map.

You can georeference any map image to a basemap. The result will end up with the spatial reference of the World Street Map basemap. Which may or may not be appropriate for your intended purpose.

If you are after accuracy then you will get better results using other basemap data such as a road centers or a land parcels. It depends on what features are in your overlay map that you can use as georeferencing control points. Ideally, your overlay map and the basemap have shared features that can be used for control points.

Owen
www.spatialxp.com.au

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenEarley
This really depends on your accuracy requirements and the intended purpose of the georeferenced map.

You can georeference any map image to a basemap. The result will end up with the spatial reference of the World Street Map basemap. Which may or may not be appropriate for your intended purpose.

If you are after accuracy then you will get better results using other basemap data such as a road centers or a land parcels. It depends on what features are in your overlay map that you can use as georeferencing control points. Ideally, your overlay map and the basemap have shared features that can be used for control points.

Owen
www.spatialxp.com.au
0 Kudos
BrianHovis

Owen
www.spatialxp.com.au

Thanks Owen, I appreciate the fast response.  I will keep trying.  The reason that I want to georeference to an Esri basemap is that I want the streets to basically line up with the historical maps.  I am hoping to use ArcGis Online to show how the area has changed over time.  I may bring in an orthophoto of the same coverage to try that as welll.
0 Kudos
OwenEarley
I am hoping to use ArcGis Online to show how the area has changed over time

In this case then it is probably a good idea to use a basemap with the same projection as ArcGIS Online - such as the World Street Map. That way no other re-projections are required.

Owen
www.spatialxp.com.au
0 Kudos
BrianHovis
In this case then it is probably a good idea to use a basemap with the same projection as ArcGIS Online - such as the World Street Map. That way no other re-projections are required.

Owen
www.spatialxp.com.au

Thanks again, my thoughts exactly.  I really appreciate the reply, because I couldn't find anything definitive in a Google search or forum.
0 Kudos