Can we edit ArcSDE feature classes that are not versioned with ArcMap?

07-17-2010 05:30 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III
Hi all

Is there a way to edit ArcSDE feature classes that are not versioned?

I am able to edit a feature using ArcGIS Server, but I haven't found a way to edit this same feature in ArcMap.

I am thinking about a solution that will allow a user to edit polygons thought the web or directly in ArcMap
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi jsn,

Yes, you just need to change a setting in the editor options. See this topic in the webhelp:

Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Nathan_A_Wood
New Contributor III
I am having this same problem on an unversioned feature class. Changing the setting in the editing options worked for me in ArcMap. But what if we want to edit that feature class outside of ArcMap? If I open up catalog and make the edit connection to SDE, it won't let me run the Delete Features tool: "Insufficient permissions". Yet I am able to edit it in ArcMap.

We are trying to delete the features and then append the new data in using model builder and eventually a python script.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Dart,

The delete features tool should work on unversioned data. Try double checking that that the correct user is specified in the connection properties of the connection file. You could also try testing while connected as the owner of the data.

What version are you working with for both catalog and your geodatabase?
What RDBMS are you using?
0 Kudos
Nathan_A_Wood
New Contributor III
We are running 9.3.1 SP1 with Oracle. Upgrading to 10 later this year.

During our initial efforts to edit the feature class through toolbox, it was versioned and the error we would receive when running the delete features tool was "Unable to edit versioned table". At that point we had the feature class unversioned which then gave us the "Insufficient Permissions" error.

We were able to test running the tool as the schema owner and it was successful. Unfortunately due to organizational restraints, we won't be able to login as the schema owner to run the tool. Is there any other way around this?

Currently the process being used is to load the feature class into ArcMap, start editing, select all and delete. Then load the new data into the feature class in Catalog.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
Nathan,

You mentioned that you were able to connect to the data and edit it in ArcMap. Are you using the same SDE connection file to make the connection for editing as  you are to run the geoprocessing tool? Everything seems to be pointing to permissions missing somewhere. I would recommend double checking the connection files that you are using and referencing this document:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002n0000002v000000.htm
0 Kudos