Can't figure out how to edit the Count field in a raster attribute table

Jump to solution
04-02-2018 11:20 AM
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

I have a canopy raster for Pennsylvania that I clipped for the northeastern portion of the state, to make the file more manageable. Initially, only grids with canopy data (Value = 1) were counted in the raster, but after I clipped it the count field in the new raster is showing a 0 count of value 1. How can I "refresh" the raster and ensure that values are being counted?

Additionally, values of 0 (Open canopy) were not counted in the original raster, but I'd like for them to be counted so I can get a percentage of canopy cover within varying buffer zones. I had tried using the field calculator tool and followed the directions here, but the operation failed returning back Error 000539.

The raster being used was retreived from here: Canopy Data

Running arcmap 10.5.1

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

no clue what the table on the left is, but it certainly isn't from the clipped raster since there is no count field.

Have you moved the clipped raster into its own dataframe /map to make sure there is something there?

The raster type is also different, when you clip it or the copy of the clip, try a *.tif file extension, it looks like you are getting and esri grid since you didn't specify a file extension.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

have you tried to use the copy raster tool to produce a new raster to see if the count field gets refreshed? or build raster attribute table http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/build-raster-attribute-table.htm

0 Kudos
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

Dan Patterson Tried that now, no luck (Copy raster, that is)

0 Kudos
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

Also a negative on Build Raster Attribute Table

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

time to show your raster and your table.

Also... you used the exact same cell size, and snap raster when you did this initially I presume

0 Kudos
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

Cell size is the same. Whole state raster, with polygon used to clip down to northeast.

Raster. Whole state versus the portion I clipped in the Northeast

0 Kudos
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

Tables for both rasters. I should add this is for a master's thesis. I'm far from a GIS expert, but the professor who runs that department isn't very good at teaching. He's certainly a knowledgeable man but he needs to work on passing his information onto his students.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

no clue what the table on the left is, but it certainly isn't from the clipped raster since there is no count field.

Have you moved the clipped raster into its own dataframe /map to make sure there is something there?

The raster type is also different, when you clip it or the copy of the clip, try a *.tif file extension, it looks like you are getting and esri grid since you didn't specify a file extension.

JonAdamski
New Contributor II

I reclipped the original raster and saved it as a .tif. It took several tries, arcMap isn't being cooperative. Values of 1 are now correctly being counted. Any tips now for getting empty space counted? Thanks for the help so far.

0 Kudos
JonAdamski
New Contributor II

Actually, I went back to that first page I tried using for assigning 0 to null values and it seems to have worked now. Wanna go back through and double check some things, but thanks again for the help

0 Kudos