Can't Export to Excel or Copy? (Possibly Too Much Data)

10-26-2016 09:11 AM
EllieHakari
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone!

I am handling a LOT of data. We're talking about millions of points, separated into multiple dataframes. I need to get the data into Excel. The shapefile that I'm trying to extract data from has about 100,000 rows and 20 columns. I first tried using the export to Excel tool, but it errored out. I then tried copying from the attribute table and pasting into Excel. Again, it errored in Excel, and then ArcMAP crashed. I thought that maybe there was just too much data for Excel, but I looked up the extents and it shows that Excel can handle up to a million rows and thousands of columns. So I don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Firstly, what version of Arc are you using and next what version of excel?

The old xls had a limit of 65536 rows (2 ^ 16).

xlxs or what ever its called had just over a million rows. ( 2 ^ 20).

Is there some funny headers in the data?

Best place is the table to excel tool, but you say this is erroring out. Check paths for spaces etc.

0 Kudos
EllieHakari
New Contributor II

I actually figured out how to fix this by not having to export to Excel. Instead, I did a One to One spatial join and took the average of each of the fields I needed. It worked! Thank you for your quick response though!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ellie,

I commonly export the table from ArcMap as TXT and then once I have that file created I change the .txt extension to .csv and then open the file in Excel.

EllieHakari
New Contributor II

I actually figured out how to fix this by not having to export to Excel. Instead, I did a One to One spatial join and took the average of each of the fields I needed. It worked! Thank you for your quick response though!

0 Kudos