Can I set the Project in ArcMap 10.2 to display data at Full Extent or Zoom to Layer on startup?

Jump to solution
03-04-2016 05:45 AM
OndřejŠilháček
New Contributor II

I have a folder with the .mxd project and few layer files with data source set to this folder. I am just changing the SHP files in this folder. Problem is that when I open the project with different SHP files all I see is blank map. Of course I can click on Full Extent or Zoom to layer, but I would like to see the data right on startup.

Can I set Zoom to layer or Full Extent on startup?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When a Map Document (*.mxd) is saved, it stores the extent of the data-frame, not that of the shapefile.

So, if I add Shapefile "A" to ArcMap, zoom to its extent, and save the MXD. Then I add shapefile "B", and remove shapefile "A" from Table of Contents. And close the MXD without further saving it. The next time MXD is opened, it will open to the extent of "A". Since "A" was deleted, it would be blank, and you need to zoom to layer "B".

Think Location

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there might be

Using data frames—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Customizing your map extent—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

If you generally work in a predetermined all-encompassing area

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Correct me if I didn't get your requirement.

Once you zoom to the area of interest, save your mxd file. Next time, it will open to the same extent on startup.

Think Location
0 Kudos
OndřejŠilháček
New Contributor II

Thats true, but if you change the SHP files and open the project, you see blank map.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

When a Map Document (*.mxd) is saved, it stores the extent of the data-frame, not that of the shapefile.

So, if I add Shapefile "A" to ArcMap, zoom to its extent, and save the MXD. Then I add shapefile "B", and remove shapefile "A" from Table of Contents. And close the MXD without further saving it. The next time MXD is opened, it will open to the extent of "A". Since "A" was deleted, it would be blank, and you need to zoom to layer "B".

Think Location