Can ArcGIS 10 use ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt files?

04-11-2012 11:30 AM
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi all,
I just got a copy of the book "Introducing Geographic Information Systems with ArcGIS 9.3: A Workbook Approach to Learning GIS", 2nd Edition by Michael Kennedy.  In the CD of the book, there is a text file "Address Geocoding - Step by Step" - see the attached jpg file.   I don't know whether I can use my ArcGIS 10 program to use this ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file or not.  Please kindly help and advise me how to do it, if it is possible to use my ArcGIS 10 program to use this ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file.
Thanks,
Scott Chang
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi all,
I just got a copy of the book "Introducing Geographic Information Systems with ArcGIS 9.3: A Workbook Approach to Learning GIS", 2nd Edition by Michael Kennedy.  In the CD of the book, there is a text file "Address Geocoding - Step by Step" - see the attached jpg file.   I don't know whether I can use my ArcGIS 10 program to use this ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file or not.  Please kindly help and advise me how to do it, if it is possible to use my ArcGIS 10 program to use this ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file.
Thanks,
Scott Chang

Scott- a text file is just a text file; you should be able to use it in 10.x.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ScottChang
New Contributor II
Hi Joe,  Thanks for your response.

I just learned that the geocoding engine of ArcGIS 10 is quite different from that of ArcGIS 9.3.  Thus the "Geocoding" format of txt file for ArcGIS 9.3 does not work in the Address Locator of ArcGIS 10.  I tried to use the ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file in creating an Address Locator from my ArcGIS 10 without any luck - see the attached files.  Any comments on this matter?  Please respond.

Thanks,
Scott Chang
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi Joe,  Thanks for your response.

I just learned that the geocoding engine of ArcGIS 10 is quite different from that of ArcGIS 9.3.  Thus the "Geocoding" format of txt file for ArcGIS 9.3 does not work in the Address Locator of ArcGIS 10.  I tried to use the ArcGIS 9.3 Address Geocoding txt file in creating an Address Locator from my ArcGIS 10 without any luck - see the attached files.  Any comments on this matter?  Please respond.

Thanks,
Scott Chang

Let me get this straight: you are trying to create a locator from a text file ? I've never had occasion to do that.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos