Can an Access MDB be converted to a Personal Geodabase?

12-11-2012 07:36 AM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
Can an MS Access MDB be converted to a Personal Geodabase?  FYI, we are running ArcGIS 10.0.  Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Randy,

Personal Geodatabases are Microsoft Access databases that can store, query, and manage both spatial and nonspatial data.  See here.  You should have no problem accessing a Microsoft Access MDB using ArcGIS 10.0.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Hi Randy,

Personal Geodatabases are Microsoft Access databases that can store, query, and manage both spatial and nonspatial data.  See here.  You should have no problem accessing a Microsoft Access MDB using ArcGIS 10.0.

Hi Jake,
  I wasn't quite clear in my post.  I know that personal geodatabases are Access databases.  What I'm trying to do is convert an non-pgdb into a pgdb but I don't see any option to do that.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
You can copy the Access tables into a PGDB later on, but I'm pretty sure there is no mechanism to
"spatially enable" an existing Access database.  Given the lack of PGDB support with 64-bit ArcGIS
Server 10.1, it doesn't seem like this has much future as an ideas.esri.com suggestion.

- V
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
You won't have to do any additional steps to convert you MDB to a PGD.  For example, if I create a MDB in Access I can immediately begin to use this with ArcGIS.  I can import/export feature classes, create tables, etc. with the database.
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
You won't have to do any additional steps to convert you MDB to a PGD.  For example, if I create a MDB in Access I can immediately begin to use this with ArcGIS.  I can import/export feature classes, create tables, etc. with the database.

I tried that but I get the following error each time

ERROR 000210: Cannot create output L:\tmp\NRCS\soildata\clallam_incl_FS\soildb_WA_2003.mdb\soilmu_a_wa632
Failed to execute (FeatureClassToFeatureClass).
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Try copying the MDB to your local disk and see if you receive the same error.
0 Kudos