Calculating field values only for appropriate features using ArcMap

Jump to solution
02-01-2020 10:50 AM
RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

Just like in the attached picture. I would like to calculate the value for the field "indeks_star" with the formula: indeks_star =[TOT_65__] / [TOT_0_14] * 100

And for features where in the field TOT_0_14 occurs 0 or in [TOT_65__] occurs 0, I would like the value -9999 to appear in the field indeks_star.

What formula to enter in the field calculator to simultaneously calculate all values for the field indeks_star?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello again,

on field calculator, select Python as your parser (top radio button) and select 'show codeblock' which appears in the middle of the window.

where it has whitespace below 'pre-logic script code' insert the code below

def percentage(field1, field2) :

if field1 != 0 and field2 != 0 :
        return ( (float(field1) / float(field2) ) * 100.0)

else :
        return -9999‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

in the bottom bit of whitespace it should have something like 'indeks_star =' above it in the greyed out area.  in the whitespace type out this:

percentage(!TOT_0_14!, !TOT_65!)

View solution in original post

14 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello again,

on field calculator, select Python as your parser (top radio button) and select 'show codeblock' which appears in the middle of the window.

where it has whitespace below 'pre-logic script code' insert the code below

def percentage(field1, field2) :

if field1 != 0 and field2 != 0 :
        return ( (float(field1) / float(field2) ) * 100.0)

else :
        return -9999‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

in the bottom bit of whitespace it should have something like 'indeks_star =' above it in the greyed out area.  in the whitespace type out this:

percentage(!TOT_0_14!, !TOT_65!)

RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

shouldn't it be the other way around?

no 
percentage(!TOT_0_14!, !TOT_65!)         but      percentage( !TOT_65!, !TOT_0_14!)

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Depends which way round you want it really, in your question you wanted _14/_65 ?

RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

I just edited the post now. Sorry for the mistake. Should be [TOT_65__] / [TOT_0_14] * 100

so it will be          percentage( !TOT_65__!, !TOT_0_14!)      ?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeh should work

RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

many features calculated correctly, many -9999(no problem), but there are also many cases when the value of the field indeks_star should be calculated, but a value of 0 for this field is created.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Maybe it's doing integer division. I'll amend the code now

RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

all values seem fine now. thank you!!! I have to create one more field and calculate one more formula, will you wait 5 minutes? I'm already putting it here

0 Kudos
RafaelMichael
Occasional Contributor

AProchow = (TOT_65/TOT)*100

if field TOT is 0 or field TOT_65__ is 0   then field  AProchow equals -9999

0 Kudos