Calculate M-Values for Polyline

06-09-2011 12:03 PM
GrantHopkins
New Contributor III
Hi there!

I have a road network that includes M values. I want to ensure that all my roads have M values set as the distance/length. How can I set all the roads to have their M value equal their length?

I realize you can right click on a selected road and use the Route Measure Editing > Set As Distance... BUT I don't feel like doing that for hundreds of roads! I need a way to do this quickly to all the roads at once.

Thank you for any help!!
Grant
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Grant,

LENGTH is the default option when you use the CREATE ROUTES tool.  Might be fastest to just recreate the routes and select that option.  A way of checking graphically might be to HATCH your routes and compare the end value hatch labels to the length.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
GrantHopkins
New Contributor III
Grant,

LENGTH is the default option when you use the CREATE ROUTES tool.  Might be fastest to just recreate the routes and select that option.  A way of checking graphically might be to HATCH your routes and compare the end value hatch labels to the length.

Hardolph

Hi Hardolph,
Thanks for your reply!! That's exactly what I need to do EXCEPT for the whole Coordinate Priority. Is there a way to use the accumulating lengths for each line but have them accumulate in the digitize direction? I need to keep my routes in a specific way (in increasing civic address direction), I'm trying to avoid having to go to each road and flip it if it's been changed due to the coordinate priority. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!
Grant
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Grant,

In that case you need to generate a FROM and a TO field for input using the TWO_FIELDS option under Measure Source.  Do this by adding the fields to your feature class and using field calculator to set the FROM field = 0 and the TO field =  Shape_Length .   That ought to respect digitizing direction in setting the M values of the created routes.

Hardolph
0 Kudos