CAD Surfaces in ArcView

12-20-2010 02:34 PM
ChristianRomeyn
New Contributor
What is the best way to take a surface from Civil 3D 2011 and bring it into Arcview? I have tried saving the TIN triangles as 3D polyines and adding them to Arcview as a CAD group layer but I can't use them to make a surface. I also tried exporting the 3D tin lines from Civil3D into a shape file but the lines do not appear to be 3d...any help would be appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MichaelMorgan
New Contributor
...I also tried exporting the 3D tin lines from Civil3D into a shape file but the lines do not appear to be 3d...any help would be appreciated.

One thing you might check in Civil 3D: if you're using mapexport at the commandline to create a shape file, select the options tab and click the Driver Options button, select 3D shape file and click OK.

mike
0 Kudos
JoettaCanaan
New Contributor
Did you ever find a solution? I am having the same problem.
0 Kudos
AudreyGarcia
New Contributor
What is the best way to take a surface from Civil 3D 2011 and bring it into Arcview? I have tried saving the TIN triangles as 3D polyines and adding them to Arcview as a CAD group layer but I can't use them to make a surface. I also tried exporting the 3D tin lines from Civil3D into a shape file but the lines do not appear to be 3d...any help would be appreciated.

I have been able to successfully create the TIN in ArcGIS from a CAD drawing.  I did need 3D Analyst ext to create the Terrain and then the TIN.  I have step by step instructions and would be happy to share if you would like.
0 Kudos
marieducharme
Occasional Contributor
I have been able to successfully create the TIN in ArcGIS from a CAD drawing.  I did need 3D Analyst ext to create the Terrain and then the TIN.  I have step by step instructions and would be happy to share if you would like.

Hello Audrey!

I am having some problems converting a 3d Cad file into a proper TIN. I would be very very interested in getting your step by step instructions!!!

Marishka
0 Kudos
MatthewBoyle
Occasional Contributor
Does anyone know how to do the reverse...?  Take a TIN from ArcGIS and drop it into AutoCAD Civil 3D?
0 Kudos
TimGrud
New Contributor

I am having the same issue.  Can you share your instruction list with me.

thanks,
Tim
0 Kudos
SaraGilbert
New Contributor II
I am having the same issue.  Can you share your instruction list with me.

thanks,
Tim

Tim,

Did you figure out how to do this (CAD to TIN)?

Sara
0 Kudos
EmilyParson
New Contributor
I am having the same problem.
0 Kudos
TimGrud
New Contributor
Tim,

Did you figure out how to do this (CAD to TIN)?

Sara

Sara,  No luck yet.

I am trying work arounds.  I have 3d analyst, computed volumes in Carlson Civil using a surface from ACAD 3D.

Go figure.

Any help is much appreciated.  I ultimately want to check the Carlson Volume generated in 3D in 3D Analyst.

Nothing is easy,

tim
0 Kudos