CAD Data Cannot Find/Display in ArcMAP

09-22-2010 11:36 AM
JiaoniYang
New Contributor
Hello,

I have been working on adding CAD data into ArcGIS with no success, it just did not show anything.

In the dwg file layer property when examine using ArcCatalog,all the values from coordinates tab and details tab showed as zeros. I think this might be the problem, anyone knows how to solve it?

Everything seems working fine in AutoCAD. And I did save the dwg file as older version like AutoCAD 2000, or R14, but still failed display in ArcMAP.

Please help, thanks.

Joanie
0 Kudos
13 Replies
scottwilliams
New Contributor
I have had this same problem for years. I would back convert the AutoCad file in TrueView from Autodesk. Now that has stopped working!
I got the new version of  DWG TrueView, but the old conversion method no longer does the trick. I wish ArcGIS 10.1 was as compatible with AutoCad as their help, and promotional pages claim. It never works!
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: hbghadim

Dear Friends

I have same problem with my CAD map, I draw the CAD map but not according to global coordinate system and unfortunately I am not familiar with CAD or GIS. That is my pleasure if you can help me to come up with this problem. This is my CAD map
0 Kudos
Scott_Russell
New Contributor III

I had this issue also.  Was using ArcMap 10.4.1 and the .dwg was saved as a 2010 AutoCAD document. I fixed the issue by saving the .dwg to 2007 format instead.  I hope this helps someone else in the future.

RichardPerkins
New Contributor II

Good morning, 

We have followed the 'save back' solution that was presented.  On further discussion with ESRI, they sent us some 'Good CAD Characteristics' (attached to this message) which are necessary for implementing ARCMap Indoors...in case that is the path you are headed. 

It's not the heaviest of lifts, but the characteristics might stray from your entities CAD standards.  We'll be revamping ours to dovetail into the Indoors product.

Hope this information helps as a supplement to the problem in the subject line.

Cheers,

Richard

0 Kudos