cache status gdb is corrupted, rebuild doesn't work. What to do?

4817
8
07-15-2014 04:26 PM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor


Hi everyone,

 

I'm working with 10.1 sp 1 Server updating a cached image service. I recently used Manage Cache Tiles to delete some cache and then attempted to run Manage Map Server Cache Status on it. Doing so is giving me 'Error 001457: Could not initialize status GDB'.

 

The Help is telling me to do the same thing that was throwing this error: rung Manage Map Server Cache Status with it set to Rebuild Cache Status.

 

Any tips or suggestions for how to deal with this?...aside from creating a new service and then importing the existing cache into the new service?

 

thanks,

Mike

Reply
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor III

Try this:

Create a new service with the same parameters.  Elect to build the cache manually later on.
Copy the tiles from the old cache into the new service cache directory (via the file system, not ArcGIS).

Delete the old service.

Rename the new service.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Jamie, for the suggestion. I may give it a try in a bit...

I was kinda hoping there'd be a way to do it without moving the cache around.

I've been experimenting with a different (much smaller) cached image service. It seems like I may be able to just go through windows explorer, delete the service's Status.gdb folder in the cache directory, and then trick ArcGIS Server into rebuilding the status gdb from scratch with the Manage Map Server Cache Status. This worked on the test service's cache status...it'll be a day or two until I know if this works on the real deal.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

did you try to delete (better rename) the Status.gdb before you did the rebuild?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I'm running into the same issue with an image server cache created in ArcGIS Server (AGS) v10.3.1.  Were you ever able to resolve this issue?

I just renamed the Status.gdb, but running Manage Map Server Cache Status to rebuild the cache status resulted in a cache with extent errors that were not there when the cache bundles were originally created.

I created a new cached image service where the bundles would be created manually later.  I then copied some of the smaller scale bundles and then ran the Manage Map Server Cache Status, but this also resulted in different errors.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III

I'm running 10.4.1 and have run into this problem a few times. I still haven't pinned down the root cause, but here's what I observed this morning. When I tried to delete/rename the Status.gdb, I couldn't because the server had locks on the database. When I opened Task Manager and looked at the Performance tab, the CPU was running around 45%. I ended up stopping/starting the ArcGIS Server service and then checking to make sure all of my services restarted properly. That killed the lock, which allowed me to delete the Status.gdb. I'm running the Manage Map Server Cache Status tool right now and it appears to be working. My guess is that "something"  happened while the cache was cooking on the service that was having issues and it ended up with a runaway process that I couldn't identify.

This workflow resolved my issue.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

In order to save time with caches, I tried to create a new service that would be cached but be done later manually.  I then copied the cache bundles from another location to the production location.  At this point the cache status is at 0% since I did not create the cache bundles, but I copied them.  I then tried to run the Manage Map Server Cache Status tool so it would update the cache status to 100%.  I tried this numerous times, but the cache status was never updated to 100%.  Since I was making no progress with this approach, I ended up deleting the bundles and recreating them with cache creation tools.  Now I had all the cache bundles and the status.gdb correctly displayed 100% complete.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor III

That is my experience today as well. I even tried recaching an entire layer and then running the Manage Map Server Cache Status tool, but never could get any of the levels back to 100%. Very frustrating.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I did open an incident with ESRI about 2 years ago and the conclusion was that copying the cache bundles and using the Manage Map Server Cache Status was not a reliable tool so recreating the cache was the best option.  It looks like this area has not been improved between 10.3.1 and 10.4.1.