Building Oracle views that don't request Unique ID in ArcMap

09-18-2015 08:13 AM
AndrewRudin
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have been building views in our Oracle database that assist GIS editors with various aspects of their work.  After I create a view in Oracle SQL Developer, editors will add it to their ArcMap sessions as needed.  The annoying part is whenever they add the view ArcMap pops up a window asking them to pick an unique ID.  Often they don't know which field to pick.  How can I build views that have the unique ID predefined by me so GIS users don't have to get this window every time?

Thank you,

Andrew

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

One way around this is to create a layer file from the spatial view.  When the user adds the layer file to ArcMap, they won't be prompted to select a field that represents the unique ID.

AndrewRudin

Thanks for the suggestion.  Not ideal, but glad to know it's an option.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

If you prefer, you can use SDE Command line 10.2.2 to register the View with SDE OR directly use the command line tools to create the View. This will not prompt for the Unique Identifier in ArcMap.

44300 - Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases?

AndrewRudin

Thanks.  I haven't used the command line tools since so much is in ArcToolbox now. We are upgrading to 10.3 SDE and desktop client by the end of the year.  With the command line tools going away I'm guessing this trick won't be a possibility after that.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can use SDE Command Line tools for the 10.3 gdb, that is what the link mentions for now. However, we wouldn't recommend this. This has been working and so is just a suggestion\possibility.

0 Kudos