Best way to create animation of Time Series Rasters?

01-14-2011 06:55 PM
KarlZimmer
New Contributor II
Hello,

I have a series of rasters that depict weekly snow cover from 2001 to 2009.  I am trying to make an animation video them so I can see how snow cover changes between seasons and years. Unfortunately the only date reference is within the raster file name (I.e 2009D165.tif). Right now I am using the animation toolbar in ArcGis 9.3 and just looping through the map layers that I've organized in the appropriate time series. However, I can't figure out how to display the raster file name as text as the animation loops through the layers. As a result there is not way of telling what raster it is showing in the animation. Any ideas on how to get the raster name displayed or a better way of animating these rasters?

I should also note all the rasters are just contained in a folder and are not associated with a geodatabase or raster catalog.

Thanks in advance.
Karl
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinGrootendorst
New Contributor II
You may be able to create an annotation group and target it to each of the rasters.  This will of course mean that you'll have to manually type the title for each raster for each annotation group.  However, when you animate, the title for each raster will appear along side the raster being displayed.  Keep in mind that you would want to make sure that all other rasters are turned off or else you'll have overlapping titles.

Kevin
0 Kudos