Automatically moving points using an attribute field

04-25-2023 09:01 AM
Labels (2)
brettsharp
New Contributor

Using 3.1, I have almost 5k points that have an attribute filled out for distance from edge of road.  When I bring it into Pro, I use stationing or measure of an existing line.  This line is not the edge of the road.  I was wondering if there was a way to automate moving all these points using a field in the attribute table for the distance from edge of road.  

Right now the work flow is selecting edge of road, copy parallel, and snap each individual point to that.  These points can vary in distance so you'll have multiple lines that you used copy parallel for and it becomes very time wasting. 

Thank you for your help. 

2 Replies
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's possible to do that with the Field Calculator and Arcade.

The expression is probably going to be pretty complex because there aren't built-in functions to snap, but I have written some functions for other projects.

How do you determine which edge a point belongs to? Do they have an attribute? Or are you just using the closest line?

Have a great day!
Johannes
0 Kudos
brettsharp
New Contributor

Just use the closest line, there will be some error involved that we'll have to manually fix but getting even some to automatically place correctly would still save a lot of time.

0 Kudos