Automated way to create table relationships based on location?

11-23-2015 03:28 PM
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

My department has recently inherited several of the City's landbase layers and as we work through the processes to update them we are realizing that some tasks are very manual.  For example, as part of adding a new subdivision to the City's landbase, we need to create a table relationship between each parcel and their respective address point(s).  The current manual process goes like this (see also image below):

1.  A Version is created, then preliminary steps completed, including updating the parcel polygons, address points, and several other landbase layers. 

2.  Then we start the table relationship process by selecting both a parcel polygon and its address point(s).

3.  In the editing Attributes Window, we drill down the tree below Parcel PolygonResidential Potential, Address Point.

4.  We right-click on Address Point - has Address and click "Add Selected" from the menu that appears.  This creates the relationship.

So here's what I was wondering.  This process is very manual.  Is there a way to automatically create the table relationships based on location?  Sort of like a Spatial Join?  What would this process be called? 

In other words, can we create all relationships at once instead of doing each parcel polygon and its address point(s) one at a time.  This would save quite a bit of effort, as this subdivision has 90+ parcels and we have several more subdivisions to do (and more in the works).

All of the address points are spatially located in their respective parcel polygons.

Note - though I have been doing GIS for many years, I'm not an SDE (or SQL Server) expert, so may need some background explanation if it gets technical fast on that side of things.

We are using ArcGIS 10.2.1, ArcSDE 10.2.1, SQLServer 2008 R2.  We are not using a Parcel Fabric nor the Local Government Information Model.

Westpark_relationship_drilldown.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Chris

If you have an advanced license then the Near geoprocessing tool will add fields to your parcels that expose which address point is inside each parcel (or not if that's the case).

This tool will let you join address point attributes to your parcels efficiently:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=da1540fb59d84b7cb02627856f65a98d

Come to think of it the tool at that link might need 10.3.1, let me know if you can't run it.

Regards

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Chris i did something similar a few years back with parcels and impervious areas.

My workflow was similar to below but i may not have all the pieces in place.

1. select impervious areas already related
  2. switch selection
  3. use intersect on parcels and impervious
  4. use relationship to table tool
  5. use intersect results to create table with parcel and impervious area OIDs
  6. append step 5 table to step 4 table use table to relationship tool

Hope that's enough information to get you going