AutoCAD DWG. to ArcGIS 9.3.1 - NEWBIE

02-16-2012 11:38 PM
LeeO_Connor
New Contributor
All

I'm currently looking at converting a dwg file to use within my ArcMap. I have drawn up a grid system in cad (Just standard lines) and i'm trying to import these into ArcGIS 9.3.1. When I seem to add it nothing displays on screen?

I also tried converting the dwg into shp file in ArcCatalog but still I have had no luck in doing this.

Any help would be much appreciated

regards
Lee
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Lee,

Please try the steps below:

Using the Feature Class to Shapefile script tool to convert multiple files at a time:
1. Open a new blank map document in ArcMap
2. Open ArcToolbox > Conversion Tools > to Shapefile > Feature Class to Shapefile (multiple)
3. Select the Input Features file browser and navigate to the desired DWG
4. Choose the CAD feature classes that you want to convert to shapefile > Add
6. Select the Output Folder file browser and navigate to the folder you wish to store the output shapefiles > Add > OK

Exporting a single CAD feature class to shapefile in ArcMap:
1. Open a new blank map document in ArcMap
2. Select the Add Data button and navigate to the desired DWG
3. Choose the CAD feature class you want to convert to shapefile > Add
4. Right-click on the CAD layer in your Table of Contents > Data > Export Data
5. Choose the Output feature class file browser and navigate to the folder location you wish to store the output shapefile
6. Name the output and choose the Shapefile option from the Save as type drop-down > Save > OK > Yes
0 Kudos
deleted-user--NBVxTfyh3KW
New Contributor
Hello Lee !!

I hope that you solved this already, but anyway.

What version is your dwg-file?
It must be ACAD2007 or older, to be compatible with ArcGis 9.3.1 !!

We experience your problem frequently with 9.3.1, and "to new" dwg-files !!

Benlun
0 Kudos
MarcusKaller
New Contributor
I am also a newbie to ArcGIS 9.3.1 and I am also having the same issues.  To preface this, I did not create these DWG, and these files were not given a projection and coordinate system, and I work on AutoCAD Map 3D 2011.  So I have a couple of questions.  First, every time I add the associated DWG files, I get a message saying �??The following data sources you added are missing spatial reference information.  This data can be drawn in ArcMap, but cannot be projected.�?�  This also occured when I used the feature class to shapefile conversion.  Do I need to define a projection and coordinate system of the DWG on AutoCAD in order for it to show up on ArcMap? And if so, what are some tips on how to make this happen?  And second, I thought I installed the Data Interoperability extension for so I can bring DWGs to ArcGIS.  However, the extension does not show up on as far as when I try to add it onto ArcCatalog.  Would this also be a factor?
0 Kudos
MarcusKaller
New Contributor
Regarding my last post, I think I may have found a way, using AutoCAD's mapexport capabilities.  I discovered and used it for the first with some success.  I'm going to play with this for a while.  I would still welcome tips heres.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
AlexLeReaux
Esri Contributor
Except for the version limitations noted here:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Supported_CAD_file_formats_and_version...

These videos might help you get started:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/cad-integration/01rn00000006000000.htm#GUID-5618FCCC-2C38...

If you want to convert CAD data to an ArcGIS format, the best practice is to load the features into a geodatabase. Geodatabase feature classes support true curves, whereas shapefiles do not.

This topic might help you develop a strategy that works best for your particular situation:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/strategies_for_loading_cad_data/0010000000...

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
DavidDuda
New Contributor
If you have Autocad Map3d, I agree, use the Map exporting tool.  It's on the pulldown menu under Map Drafting, or in the command line type _mapexport. 

Export each layer to a shape file.  Especially if you are using object data, I believe this is only way to incorporate this data into a field in your geodatabase later on.  Export each layer as a shape file, include whatever data you think will be needed in your ArcGis map.  Then create a new geodatabase from arccatalog.  In the new geodatabase, create a new feature class (for example for my water systems map I called the geodatabase "utilities" and the feature class in the geodatabase "water")  Then in that new feature class right-click and hit import feature class (single).  Add each shape file with a name that does not have any spaces.  (for example I found out the hard way don't name your new feature class "water main", it won't work it would have to be "water_main")
Import each shape file into your new geodatabase and you are good to go.  Took me a ton of searching on the internet, phone calls etc... to figure this out.  It's pretty easy once you've done it once.

Have fun!
0 Kudos
SymbionPandora
New Contributor
Hello all, one quick question. In order to export DWG to SHP or GeoDB, what level of licensing is required? Is it required any extension such as Data Interoperability? Thank you very much
0 Kudos
ScottLangley
New Contributor
There's free software by Autodesk called Trueview. Link below.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=9078813

It will allow you to view and convert AutoCAD dwg's down to version 2007 or prior.

As Benlun mentioned, ArcGIS 9.3.1 only recognizes AutoCAD 2007 or older.

I have just started making use of this program and it's brilliantly working for me so far.

Enjoy,
Scott
0 Kudos