Attributing different colormap to individual rasters in mosaic dataset

10-08-2011 07:14 PM
BenKane
New Contributor III
I have a mosaic dataset of 13 separate rasters for which I am trying to attribute different colormaps and then publish as an image service.  When I add one colormap to the whole dataset via the function chain in ArcCatalog it works fine and draws the appropriate color for each pixel.  However, when I attempt to give each raster a different colormap via the footprint attribute table in ArcMap all rasters only draw greyscale (it doesn't matter whether or not I remove the colormap in ArcCatalog first, with or without the individual rasters do not get colored correctly).
Has anybody had success with this?  I have read through the online help for image services and mosaic datasets and it appears this is supposed to work, but I have not had any success.

Ben
0 Kudos
3 Replies
WenxueJu
Esri Contributor
It's likely you have a 1-band mosaic dataset, which only displays grayscale (even if you put colormap function on top of invidual rasters) unless there're other functions on top of mosaic (in your first case -- adding colormap on top of mosaic function).

To get around of this issue, specify 3 in "Number of Bands" when creating the mosaic dataset.
0 Kudos
BenKane
New Contributor III
Thank you.  Creating a new mosaic dataset and specifying 3-band did solve the issue.

Now my next step is to create a call from Flex Viewer that chooses a different clr file for each raster based on the user's decision.  Does anybody have ideas about how to approach this?
0 Kudos
BenKane
New Contributor III
Strange, in my last post I said that creating a new 3-band mosaic dataset allowed me to add colormaps to the individual rasters in the mosaic dataset...but I am now getting an error message when I attempt to add a colormap to any mosaic dataset, whether in catalog or in arcMap.  I even get the error when I attempt to add the same colormap to the mosaic dataset that I previously had success with!

The Raster Function Editor error message reads:
The function could not be inserted.  Input or output arguments are invalid.

What could cause this new error and how do I correct it?
0 Kudos