Attributes Disappearing in ArcPro Points Feature Class

04-08-2019 02:20 PM
Harris_Joel
New Contributor

Hello all. I'm creating a points feature class in ArcPro and then typing attributes into my pre-created fields in the table as I go, but often (but not every time) when I move on to the next point, previous attributes dissappear. Even when I save edits 1st. Why? It's super frustrating and holding back my progress. arcpro ‌

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

James - thx for the response.  If you would, try the following workflow to determine if this resolves the issue.

• Clear the cache for each feature layer by right clicking on the feature layer->properties->cache->clear cache->OK.
  • Recalculate the Spatial Index by right clicking on the feature layer>properties->indexes->spatial index->recalculate->OK
  • Does issue persist?
  • If yes, the shapefile may be created.  Export the data to a new shapefile and attempt your editing workflow again.

Let me know what you determine.

0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Robert,

I have noticed this issue a number of times myself. Edits in the attribute table often disappear once an edit session is saved. I'm also having the problem that often editing in the attribute table doesn't appear to be recognised as edits as the save edits button remain greyed out. 

I've got round this by using the attributes pane from the edit context menu where my edits can be made and then applied. This then causes the saved edits button to become available again.

Could there be a bug with editing directly in the attribute table?

Thanks

Anthony

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Anthony - it's possible I guess.  I'm not seeing any particular BUG ID that pops-up on the Esri internals about this behavior.  It's possible you have a corrupt geodatabase and/or feature class.  To test,create a new file geodatabase followed by a copy/paste of the problem feature class.  From there, try to do attribute edits in the attribute table as you normally would do.  Does the error persist?

One thing I did see that caused a few customers issues was incremental backups on a file geodatabase using a Windows back-up/restore operation referenced here.  Do your IT folks conduct Windows back-up/restore operations?

0 Kudos
JenniferCadkin
Esri Contributor

After updating the attribute in the table, are you hitting the enter key or otherwise activating a different record before creating another point feature?

JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jennifer,

I don't recall for sure.  I think I was clicking in another cell to trigger the 'update rows' more so than pressing enter.  My workflow changed to updating the fields in the attribute pane instead of the in the attribute table.

Regards, Jay

0 Kudos
JamesRoberts
New Contributor

I was not activating other records.  After creating a point and entering the attributes (using tab to go to the next field), I saved the edits, then when clicking on the map to create the next point, the attributes from the previous point disappear.  If I then re-enter the attributes in the table for the previous point, they stick.  When creating a new point, only the previous point seems to be affected.

When using the attribute pane, the problem does not occur.

0 Kudos
AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi all, I think as Jennifer pointed out the issue is that you need to hit enter after each entry in the attribute table. Tabbing to the next field or selecting with the cursor doesn't recognise the change even if you save edits.

I've started hitting enter after every text change in Pro as I noticed this issue occurred elsewhere outside the attribute table too.

0 Kudos
Harris_Joel
New Contributor

Jennifer,

No, I am simply editing the fields of attributes that are already in the feature class. For example, adding text and numbers to the proper fields--water right numbers, gps coordinates, etc...

0 Kudos
Harris_Joel
New Contributor

Hello all. This issue is still occuring. I'm hoping that by hitting "Save" in the "Edit" tab after every edit will get these saved, but it's puzzling why edits aren't saved automatically. I have been under the assumption that when I exit at the end of the day and answer "Yes" to the question of whether I went all edits to be saved that all my edits are saved, but this is simply not the case. It appears that no edits are saved to an attribute table unless one immediately hits the "Save" button in the "Edit" tab. Please advise. 

0 Kudos
Harris_Joel
New Contributor

I was incorrect in thinking that by hitting "Save" in the "Edit" tab, the changes I made to the attribute table would be saved. I see this morning that none of this has been saved which is a major setback in my work. I'll have to re-do my edits in ArcMap where I know it will be saved. Please advise. 

0 Kudos