Attempting to Add Data to Cells in Newly Added Field in Attribute Table ArcMap10.2

05-23-2014 07:43 AM
AndreaShipley
New Contributor
I am trying to add data to an attribute table for a polygon feature shapefile in ArcMap 10.2 by following the directions here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Understanding_how_to_edit_values_in_a_tabl...

I added a new field to the table and I've tried the copy and paste method suggested by the link above to add the data to the new field, but when I right click the top cell of the new field column the only option I get is "copy" and "cut, paste, and delete" options are greyed out.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, assuming that I am doing something wrong.  I have also tried using the Editor tool to edit the shapefile to add the data. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
EricErtl
New Contributor III
Hi Andrea.  When you stated that "the only option I get is "copy" and "cut, paste, and delete" options are greyed out." are you saying that Copy is the only option available?  If that is correct, did you start an editing session?  In your screenshot it looks as if the edit tool is not enabled (grayed out).  Try starting an editing session for that shapefile and those functions should be available.
0 Kudos
AndreaShipley
New Contributor
Hi Andrea.  When you stated that "the only option I get is "copy" and "cut, paste, and delete" options are greyed out." are you saying that Copy is the only option available?  If that is correct, did you start an editing session?  In your screenshot it looks as if the edit tool is not enabled (grayed out).  Try starting an editing session for that shapefile and those functions should be available.

That is exactly what is happening, and this also occurs when I am in an editing session as well.
0 Kudos
EricErtl
New Contributor III
Andrea, what kind of data are you attempting to copy and paste?  Is it from Excel or Access or from another shapefile?  What is the field type of the new field?  Have you tried opening a new map document and adding only the shapefile that you want paste values into?
0 Kudos
AndreaShipley
New Contributor
Hi Eric, Thank you for suggesting I open a new map, because it helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.  I had not exported the layer to save it, so that is why I could not edit the new field.  Sometimes it's the most obvious solutions.  Thanks again for your suggestions!
0 Kudos