Assigning attributes from a poygon to another layer (spatial join?)

07-29-2014 03:12 AM
BastianMüller
New Contributor

Hey everyone!
I have a small problem joining attribute tables of two polygon layers.
I have a building database and a inundation polygon layer, see attached picture (inundation also available as raster, if easier). I want to assign the corresponding  inundation classes ( 1,2,...5) to each individual building in my working area for a vulnerability assessment and add as a new column in my building attribute table.
I tried spatial join, but it would produce me only zero values for each building. Manaually is not an option ,as there are 5000 buildings.guess

Anyone any ideas? I guess its rather simple, but if u dont know the right tool...
Thanks guys!

Inundation.jpg

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did you try the Intersect tool in the Analysis Toolset?

0 Kudos
BastianMüller
New Contributor

It generates an empty attribute tabe.

It produces:

000953 : Extent of the overlay operation will be empty.

000117 : Warning empty output generated

The output created or modified has no features. For instance, running the  Delete Features or  Delete Rows tool on a feature class or table would remove all the features or rows. A common occurrence of this warning occurs when the  Extent (or  XYDomain) environment has been set previously for a geographically distinct area. Since the Extent environment is used to limit the features used, an inappropriately set Extent environment could exclude all features.

How is it possible
Even working with ArcGIS over years, it can drive you crazy, but still I love it 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The files are in different coordinate systems is what the error message is saying, confirm this and then when using the tool in ArcToolbox, click on the Environments tab on the bottom right and set everything rather than using defaults.

0 Kudos
BastianMüller
New Contributor

After changing (assigning) the correct coordinate system it worked perfectly with spatial join!
Thanks a lot Dan!
Regards,
Bastian

0 Kudos