Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcSDE Prerelease 10.1 on a new Oracle instance won't start, says compatability issue

Jump to solution
04-17-2012 01:24 PM
MattSimmons
Deactivated User
I have a new oracle 11g instance where I installed ArcSDE 10.  I want to install 10.1 and so I had my DBA blow away the 10 table space (it's a dev instance).  I installed 10.1 and upon trying to start 10.1 using the sdemon -o start command I'm getting the following. 
Could there still be something from ArcSDE 10 somewhere?  Any ideas what I should check?

ArcSDE 10.1  for Oracle11g Build 611 Wed Dec 21 12:41:15  2011
-------------------------------------------------------

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: () Type Release: 0

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

Previous SDE Server Release 0.0.0 is not compatible with the current Release 10.1.0.

Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.
0 Kudos
20 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
I think the problem is the Oracle client you installed:

"I've installed the Oracle 11g 64-bit full client on the client machine"

Desktop is a 32-bit client and requires a 32-bit DBMS client.

http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Setting_up_a_connection_to_Oracle/002n...

"Some ArcGIS clients, such as ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Engine, are 32-bit applications. If you are making a database connection from one of these clients, you must use a 32-bit Oracle client to connect to the Oracle database. This is true even if you install the ArcGIS client application on a computer with a 64-bit operating system (OS) and the database and server OS are 64-bit."
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Deactivated User
Just so I'm clear on the environment:

The Oracle server is 64-bit Linux,
ArcSDE 10.1 on Oracle is also the 64-bit version

On the client machine, the ArcGIS Desktop machine is 64-bit Windows 7, but I need to install the 32-bit Oracle client because Desktop is a 32-bit application?  I'll give this a go~
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Yes, that is correct.
0 Kudos
MattSimmons
Deactivated User
And voila  - connection succeeds...:cool:
Next step will be enabling the gdb and starting the service...
0 Kudos
FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
Occasional Contributor
Hi, Kimberly

I'm in a similar problem
and in this post I can find the solution
in these lines mentioned :

"I've installed the Oracle 11g 64-bit full client on the client machine"

Desktop is a 32-bit client and requires a 32-bit DBMS client.

If Desktop and Server are on the same server even so I have to install client 32 for oracle???
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
If Desktop and Server are on the same server even so I have to install client 32 for oracle???

Yes; otherwise, you will not be able to connect from ArcGIS Desktop.

See this topic for information on having both the 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle client's installed:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Setting_up_a_connection_to_Oracle/002n0000...
If both ArcGIS for Server and ArcGIS for Desktop are installed on the same Windows computer, set the PATH variable to read the 64-bit client before the 32-bit client.
0 Kudos
Chandan_KumarRath
Emerging Contributor
Yes, that is correct.

I am also getting the same error. I am using SQLServer 2008 Express Edition.
Database: SQLServer Express Edition x64

Please provide a solution.

Thanks,
Chandan
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Chandan,

What version of the SQL Server Native Client do you have installed?  You'll need at least the 2008 version to connect.

In the case of SQL Server, though, you run the Native Client installation that matches your OS - you cannot run the 32-bit SQL Server Native Client installation executable on a 64-bit machine.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Setting_up_a_connection_to_SQL_Server/002q0000003800...
0 Kudos
Chandan_KumarRath
Emerging Contributor
Chandan,

What version of the SQL Server Native Client do you have installed?  You'll need at least the 2008 version to connect.

In the case of SQL Server, though, you run the Native Client installation that matches your OS - you cannot run the 32-bit SQL Server Native Client installation executable on a 64-bit machine.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/Setting_up_a_connection_to_SQL_Server/002q0000003800...

Peter,

Installed native client is 10.0 comes with "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM - Express with Management Tools" (SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe), downloaded from microsoft.com.

Is there any way-out available to run 32-bit SQL Server Native Client.

Log file:
ArcSDE 10.1  for SQL Server Build 679 Thu Apr  5 11:43:21  2012

DB_instance_open() against SQL Server using OLEDB driver.
Connected to instance . . .
Previous SDE Server Release 0.0.0 is not compatible with the current Release 10.1.0.
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
I was thinking you had gotten an error about the DBMS client release.  Now that I see the error in your last post, though, it looks like you did not create a geodatabase.
0 Kudos