ArcSDE in Oracle 12c ... anyone ... anyone ...

09-23-2013 05:11 AM
RicaSaporta
New Contributor III
Hello all,
we are currently using ArcSDE in Oracle 11g R2 environment.
We have been able to convert most of our connections to 'direct connect' with a goal to removing all 'application connections' where possible.
Our DBAs are now looking at moving to Oracle 12c on all of our databases.
Does anyone know what impact this will have to the ArcSDE? and/or any impact to the connections associated with it?
Is SDE supported on Oracle 12c?

I can not find any discussion on this at this time ... so can we please start one?

thank you
rica
33 Replies
SherrieKubis
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Vince.

I was mistaken, we are going to ArcGIS 10.2 at the latest SP when we get there. 

I was behind the time on the planning. 

I suspected that SDE wouldn't work at the CDB, but only at the PDB. 

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

No promises, of course, but It seems likely that Esri would try to leverage multiple database containers with a future enterprise geodatabase implementation within Oracle 12c+, as supported in other RDBMS solutions with multiple independent databases.

- V

SherrieKubis
Occasional Contributor

I think so, too.  Also, the "rumor" (and it's just that) I heard is that starting with Oracle 12.2, CDB/PDB is the only option. Those things have a way of getting pushed back though (remember LONG RAW desupport )

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler
New Contributor III

We are doing some heavy back-end database re-architecting with Oracle right now. For anyone who hasn't gotten to see 12c, the CDB/PDB is an option not a requirement. Oracle will make that the only option at 13c. If you can make it work at 12 then less work for you at 13. You also need to be licensed for multi-tenon to have more than one PDB in your CDB.

0 Kudos
JohnBaleja
New Contributor II

Oracle 12c was released in July 2013 on Oracle Solaris and Oracle
Linux. So the earliest we began supporting 12c was ArcGIS 10.2.1 Here is the link to the 10.2.x System Requirements page for Oracle:

System Requirements

Here was the GA press release for 12c R1 if you’re interested.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1967380?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=oracle-a...

0 Kudos
shafitrumboo
New Contributor III

Rica Saporta‌ I want to know what you finally did as I have to also migrate from 11g to 12c. Since in 12c we have multitenant architecture. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone gotten the 12c Client to work on a machine where the 11g client also exists?  I ask because I have both clients on the same machine with the 12c client first, but I am getting an error when trying to make a connection with the 12c client (No problem with the 11g client which was installed first and worked without issue).

0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor

Hi Michael. A few questions:

-what error do you receive?

-are you trying to connect with ArcGIS desktop or Pro,etc. and what version e.g. 10.2.1 do you have

-Is the oracle instant client 12.1.0.1 32-bit or admin client 64-bit etc.?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Forrest:

I built a new 64-bit Windows 2012 Server server with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 that will perform all of my organization's GIS scheduled tasks.  I initially installed a 32-bit Oracle 11g Client on the machine to see if tasks copied over from a server with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 would still work if I updated necessary items to point to 10.5.1 objects (python reference) and the scheduled tasks still ran successfully against an Oracle 11g SDE database.  I used the same tnsadmin file that was on the current 64-bit Windows 2008 Server with ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1.

The SDE database was upgraded to Oracle 12c, so I added a 32-bit Oracle 12c Client on the machine making sure that the 12c client was specified first in the PATH environmental variable.  I updated the tnsadmin file on the new 64-bit Windows 2012 Server with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 to point to the Oracle 12c SDE database.  When I created a new database connection I only added the database instance name (e.g. Dev) to the Instance portion of the Database Connection dialog box.  After the connection file was successfully created, I opened up the Database Connection dialog box and sde:oracle11g was added to the Instance so it looked like sde:oracle11g:Dev even though the Oracle 12c Client was referenced first in the PATH environmental variable.

I then tried to explicitly create a new SDE connection with the Instance being sde:oracle12c:Dev, but I received the following error:

"Failed to connect to the specified server.  Do you want to continue?  Underlying DBMS error[ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specifiedNo extended error.]"

I then removed the reference to the Oracle 11g SDE database in the tnsadmin file.  When I created a SDE connection with Instance = Dev it still added the sde:oracle11g: to the Instance name and I was able to connect to the database even though only the Oracle 12c SDE database.  If I added the sde:oracle12c explicitly to the Instance Name of a SDE connection file, the connection still failed.

So why is ArcCatalog/Desktop holding onto sde:oracle11g and won't even let me add sde:oracle12c explicitly to the Instance Name of a SDE connection file?

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So I found this bug article:

Bug: Typing an Oracle tnsname in the Instance field of the Database Connection dialog box changes to... 

Does this mean that sde:oracle11g will be imbedded into all Oracle SDE connections regardless of the Oracle database version that you are connecting to?

0 Kudos