ArcSDE in Oracle 12c ... anyone ... anyone ...

09-23-2013 05:11 AM
RicaSaporta
New Contributor III
Hello all,
we are currently using ArcSDE in Oracle 11g R2 environment.
We have been able to convert most of our connections to 'direct connect' with a goal to removing all 'application connections' where possible.
Our DBAs are now looking at moving to Oracle 12c on all of our databases.
Does anyone know what impact this will have to the ArcSDE? and/or any impact to the connections associated with it?
Is SDE supported on Oracle 12c?

I can not find any discussion on this at this time ... so can we please start one?

thank you
rica
33 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
FJ:

Is that service pack 1 for ArcGIS 10.2 which can be installed over 10.2?  Or will this require an uninstall process?
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Michael,

ArcGIS 10.2.1 can be installed on a machine with ArcGIS 10.2 already and it will replace 10.2.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Would you have a ballpark idea of when ArcGIS 10.2.1 will be released (e.g. 6 months from now)?
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Not an "official Esri" statement and I always feel nervous doing this. However, I found statement about the 10.2.1 release schedule in the UC2013 Q&A: What is version 11, is that the next ArcGIS release?

It says "end of 2013" for 10.2.1. Based on the current internal schedule and what I know about where we are in the release process, we're still on track.
0 Kudos
GerardVidrine
New Contributor
FYI...

We have migrated our Ora11g/SDE 10.1 database up to Ora12c/Sde 10.2.1 successfully.  And all of our 10.2.1 clients connect fine.  But we have found that even though the documentation shows that 10.1/10.2 clients can connect to 10.2.1 geodatabase, that will not work if that database is stored in 12c...  I am trying different combinations of instantclients/full clients to see if I can make that work, but so far it hasn't worked.  Also, our AGS Servers are not connecting either (I would assume that same version issues are happening here as well...)
0 Kudos
ForrestJones
Esri Contributor
Hi Gerard,

12c support starts at 10.2.1. You must have a 10.2.1 client in order to connect to 12c.

See:

10.2.1 system requirements for Oracle
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Forward compatibility in geodatabases is only supported if the RDBMS is also supported at the
older release.  10.2.0 and 10.1.x clients cannot connect to Oracle 12c.

- V
0 Kudos
JamesFox1
Occasional Contributor
The 12c now has two types of databases; a "container" database (CDB) to manage the system resources of the relational database "instance" (memory and processes, analogous to SYSTEM in a SQL Server environment) with the actual business table databases now being "pluggable"  databases (PDBs) which can be individaully swapped in and out the instance environment(analogous to the USE {DB} in a SQL Serevr environment) which should prove to be an enhancement for many of the large data cloud environments that are growing today.

That said, however the new Oracle 12c multi-tenancy database architecture has enhanced the user and role security along those same lines. A "common" user can only be defined in a container but has access to objects in any of it's pluggable databases however a local user defined in a pluggable database does not have the same access to the container objects with individual roles defined for each.

Since ArcGIS relies heavily on databases roles and system priviledges for management of it's GIS metadata, I would not try a 12c database on any version of ArcGIS that ESRI has not CERTIFIED AS COMPATABLE with this type of database architecture.  

-Jim
SherrieKubis
Occasional Contributor

We are upgrading Oracle from 11.1.0.7 to 12.1.0.4 (or the latest when we get there), as well as our SDE to ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.  

The reason for moving to Oracle 12c is that Oracle 11.2 premium support ends Jan 2015, it will take us that long to get there. 

Our new database servers are beefy, making Oracle 12c multitenancy a good fit. 

I need time to put my hands on these latest versions, from the onset I can't see how SDE would work at the container level, but perhaps it would work from the pluggable level.  Or maybe there would be a way to make it work.  We use roles extensively in our current SDE management with one data owner.  The concept of one data owner with versioned geodatabases needs to change with SDE 10.1 prompting a rearchitecture of how we have been doing GIS database business anyway.  The only certainty is change I guess.

Has anyone implemented SDE with Oracle 12c?  What are you experiences? 

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Oracle 12c support in ArcGIS was introduced at 10.2.1, and only at the pluggable database level.
I doubt you could make ArcSDE 10.1sp1 function with Oracle 12c.

- V