ArcSDE for SQL Server Express 2 editors at same time?

10-17-2012 05:02 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for this easy question and I know I read this at some point but I can't find it now. If I were to move my personal geodatabases to store them in ArcSDE for SQL Server Express that is included with my ArcEditor desktop software, does that allow me to have 2 people editing that database at the same time and reconciling changes? Or is that only available with ArcServer ArcSDE?

Thank you,
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: asrujit

ArcSDE for SQL Server Express(previously known as ArcSDE Personal) allows you only 1 Editor/ 2 Viewers at a time.

ArcSDE Workgroup allows 3 Editors

ArcSDE Enterprise allows unlimited Editors
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Andrea,

If I were to move my personal geodatabases to store them in ArcSDE for SQL Server Express that is included with my ArcEditor desktop software, does that allow me to have 2 people editing that database at the same time and reconciling changes? Or is that only available with ArcServer ArcSDE?

If you only have ArcGIS Desktop - ArcEditor, then you would have a Desktop geodatabase (aka. ArcSDE personal geodatabase) and it supports 1 editor and 2 readers (3 concurrent connections).

The other option for an ArcSDE geodatabase implemented on SQL Server Express does require ArcGIS Server Workgroup, and you get a Workgroup geodatabase  (aka. ArcSDE workgroup geodatabase). It supports 10 editors and readers (10 concurrent connections).

FYI: Multiuser Geodatabase (Esri product page)

Both geodatabase options are collectively called 'Database servers' in the help documentation:
What are database servers in ArcGIS?

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos