ArcSDE 9 for PostgreSQL/PostGIS on Windows Server 2008; Is it possible?

02-22-2011 10:30 AM
JoaoOliveira1
New Contributor
Hi:

I have followed the instructions in "installing PostgreSQL" guide for ArcSDE, and the "Using the PostGIS geometry type" webhelp topic. I am using a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM through a remote desktop connection.
I have managed to conclude all the steps that precede the Post Installation Authorization step. However, the ArcSDE Repository has not been able to conclude successfuly.

In the attachments you can find a picture of the schemas created in the PostgreSQL database with PostGIS support, and the sde setup log file.

I need to know if this is a OS problem; or is there any other thing I can do in this environment.

BTW, PostgreSQL Stack Builder does not work either. I have used a windows installation binary from pgfoundry.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoaoOliveira1
New Contributor
No, it is not possible!

I have received the following answer from ESRI Portugal:
http://wikis.esri.com/wiki/display/ag93bsr/ArcSDE+PostgreSQL+Database+Requirements

So, I have to wait for ArcSDE 10 to become available through my campus license... 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kasi4188

Hi JPHespanha,
What version of ArcSDE were you trying to install?
Your .png, shows 86 tables in the sde schema, at 10.0 the number of tables under the sde schema after an install should be 40. So, are you installing an earlier version?
Even though we have not certified any ArcSDE version on Windows 2008 R2, we have been using it and found no issues, we have been using it for ArcSDE 10.0 but not on earlier versions, so I am not sure how earlier versions would run on it.
Windows 2008 R2 has introduced more of a distinction between a user that is part of the admin group vs. an actual os admin so some things that could previously be done as a user with admin privs on WIN2k8 R2 they have to be done as the admin it's self. One of those things is running the Postinstaller, I am wondering if that is the issue you had run into, because your setup log does not show any errors. So, try this:
in start, all programs, arcgis, arcsde, right click on the postinstaller and "Run as Administrator", that should get you past the "Repository ... unsuccessful ... " message, or try running it in command line but make sure that the command line window was started "as admin" as well.  If you had not switched off UAC settings you may also have issues with writing to logs, but I assume that you had since sdesetup log was populated.
Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos
JoaoOliveira1
New Contributor
Dear Kasia:

Thank you for your reply. I am working with ArcSDE v9.3, and after the answer from ESRI, I got a Windows Server 2003 VM from my School IT staff. The installation completed without problems in this version and I am only waiting for the authorization file to start working.

However, the plan is to move all the components (Desktop and Server) to version 10 by the Semester end, and so the Windows Server 2008 R2 will be used again. So your information is very helpfull indeed.

Regards,
Joao Paulo Hespanha
0 Kudos