ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP2 - Cannot read a feature class

07-28-2010 04:41 AM
GearoidO_Riain
New Contributor
Hello,

We have installed ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP2 on a server that is running ArcSDE only and was previously running ok with ArcSDE 9.3.1 SP1. We have a couple of services connecting to database located in SQL Server 2008 on different server. GeoDatabases have also been upgraded using sdesetup -o upgrade command.

When we try to connect from ArcCatalog (also 9.3.1 SP2) to any of the SDE Services, the connection is successful but we cannot retrieve any feature class. The error is 'The selected object failed to draw: Underlying DBMS Error [Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server: Deferred prepare could not be completed.]'. When I checked the SDE log, there is not much, just a line saying 'Table list query: {call sp_tables}'.

The direct connection to the SDE databases works fine.

Could anybody help?

Thanks,
Pavel
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ToddHayes
New Contributor II
We are experiencing something similar.  Did you ever figure out this issue?
0 Kudos
MelanieBruce
New Contributor
I am also having a similar issue.  Has anyone had success in finding a solution?

Thanks,
Melanie Ruff
0 Kudos
ToddHayes
New Contributor II
I am also having a similar issue.  Has anyone had success in finding a solution?

Thanks,
Melanie Ruff

No Solution yet...but the problem has pretty much disappeared.  Every once in a while we get an occurance.  We have had our Network Engineer, Systems engineer, DBA, ESRI and Microsoft look at this issue and nobody can figure out what the problem is.  Of coarse when it only happens once in a while it is hard to troubleshoot.
0 Kudos
RobertHarmon
New Contributor III
I'm experiencing the same problem (in XP).  I am connecting to a feature class in a 9.3.1 SDE database in SQL Server '08 which uses the "geometry" type.  It works fine from Arc 10 in Windows 7 and Arc 9.3.1 (with or without SP2) in Windows 7.  I get the draw error mentioned above when I try it in Arc 9.3.1 (with or without SP2) in Windows XP.

Help!

Bob
0 Kudos
RobertHarmon
New Contributor III
I contacted tech support and was directed to the following ESRI knowledge base article:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=36563

Basically, I needed the MS SQL Server 2008 Native Client installed.  Once I did that ArcMap could draw the features.

Bob
😄
0 Kudos