ArcSDE 9.3.1 post install issues using SQL Server 2008

06-30-2010 03:27 AM
Anne-MarieFrankland
New Contributor
Dear All,

I am using remote desktop to connect to a Windows Server 2008 machine under a Windows login with Adminstrator rights to the server. The server has:
- A default install of SQL Server 2008 recently installed.
- ArcSDE installed

I'm now trying to run the ArcSDE for SQLServer post install Wizard. In the wizard the following have been tried:
1) Select scheme: SDE SChema
2) User information: Connect to the SQL server instance using Windows Authentication
3) Create spatial database: Set SDE user password and database name (its not named sde)
4) User information:

[INDENT][/INDENT]- If I select create, and use SQL Server Authentication, it
fails due to a bad login details (sde user name, and pasword created in step 3).

[INDENT][/INDENT]- If I select Upgrage and use Windows Authentication the repository is created OK.

5) Authorization for arcsdeserver fine.
6) Starting esri_Sde service fails again due to login errors

IDBInitialize::Initialize Failed
init_DB DB_instance_open_as_dba: -93
DBMS error code: 18456
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0: Login failed for user 'sde'.

I've followed the troubleshooting steps for 997 Error starting esri_sde service:
http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.3/index.cfmTopicName=Troubleshooting_the_ArcSDE_service

However, I cannot start the service with sdemon -o start
Check network, $SDEHOME, DBMS settings...

The network and $SDEHOME seem to be fine, so maybe its the DBMS settings that make the SDE login/ passord not recongisable. I've checked in SQL Server that both Windows and SQL Server AUthentication are enabled.

I'm not familiar with either SQL Server or ArcSDE so any help appreciated with where to go from here.

Many thanks,
Anne.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi Anne,

Did you use a strong (complex) password for the sde user when you created it in step 3?  By default, password complexity is enforced by SQL Server 2008.  See this Microsoft TechNet article for more info on that policy:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms161959.aspx

That may be why you're able to connect with a Windows Authenticated user but get the "bad login user" message when trying to connect as your sde user.

-Kim
0 Kudos
Anne-MarieFrankland
New Contributor
Hi Kim,

Thank you for your help.
That fixes the problem.

Cheers, Anne.
0 Kudos