ArcSDE 10 & SQL 2008 Standard R2 connection error

11-17-2011 09:33 AM
WilliamDonahue
New Contributor
Hey Guys,

I have been trying to move to a larger SQL database. I was also having problems with my SQl express instance. So i needed to transfer my database using SQL export/import tools. SDE started the service correctly but when i try to create a Spatial Database Connection in ArcCatalog the Following error appears:

Failed to connect to database. This release of the GeoDatabase is either invalid or out of date. DBMS table not found [arcgis.sde.GDB_release]

I am able to connect to the server through a OLE DB connection. I need to fix this so i can pull the data into a File Geodatabase for later transfer to my organization's Oracle system.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You've probably got more than one issue here.  First off, I don't think you can just switch Microsoft
applications and have Personal or Workgroup geodatabases function correctly (only Enterprise ArcSDE
functions in SQL-Server Standard/Enterprise).  Second, ArcSDE functionality is hard-coded into the
triggers of SQL-Server, and it is not supported when you change database names.  Third, those
"problems" may have caused or been caused by corruption of the database instance data files; it
probably isn't helping to move the instance information about like this.

- V
0 Kudos
WilliamDonahue
New Contributor
my issue is a product of the following situation.

The pc that is hosting this server has crashed and it caused my SDE instance to be unable to connect to the SQL express database I cannot access the database through ArcCatalog so i cannot remove my data from that server. i need to find someway to get my data out of the sql database and into a new one. allowing me to access it. is there anyway to do this?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I would recommend you work with Tech Support on this issue.

- V
0 Kudos
AaronKreag
Occasional Contributor
This may or may not be of any help.  I had SQL Express 2008 R2 on my PC, I had ArcSDE Personal with a few GB of data.  There was an issue and I needed to get a new PC.  I went and exported a full backup file (.bak) from the database that contained my geospatial data and placed it on the network.
I then went and replaced the PC, reinstalled all of the software (ESRI, service packs, SQL Express, Visual studio, etc)...once it was all squared away and working I went to the new instance of SQL Express on my new PC and restored the full back up using the same database name as the previous from the network.
I then went to ArcCatalog and reestablished the connection and all of my data and stuff was there.
Because the name of my PC changed, I had to reconnect the data in my MXDs but all in all it went pretty smooth.

If you are trying to move to a full SQL edition or to a larger SDE edition.....I would think that if you reinstalled everything in SQL as above.  There has to be a way for a user to upgrade his express to standard and then upgrade sde to the full version from personal.

Regards-
Aaron
0 Kudos