ArcSDE 10.2 services are not working

11-11-2013 12:54 AM
AnuragSharma
New Contributor
Hello Guys...I am new to the sde services provided by esri. I want to connect ArcCatalog 10.2 to my Oracle 11g R2 database using
ArcSDE 10.2. I am using a 64-Bit Windows server 2008.
Till now following are the steps that i have undertaken:

1) Installed Oracle 11g
2) Created a Database named "MASTER"
3) Configured a listener
4) Installed ArcSDE 10.2
5) Default entries regarding the service name and port number have been made in the services file(esri_sde 5151/tcp).
6) The Path environment variable has been set keeping %SDEHOME%/Bin as the first entry
7) Create SDE service using sdeservice -o create command

After this the services are successfully created and registered.
When I start the services via service.msc it says
Arcsde service was started and then stopped. Some services are automatically stopped when not in use

So I used the sdemon -o start command but it also didn't work.
It says could not start Arcsde services--Check network,%SDEHOME%.......

The sde error log says
init_DB DB_instance_open_as_DBA =-93
DBMS error code :1017
Ora_01017 : invalid usrnm/pwd ; Logon denied

I used "sde" as the sde admin password while creating the service

Please do help.http://forums.arcgis.com/images/icons/icon11.png
0 Kudos
18 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
The sys password you had provided in 'Create Enterprise Geodatabase' might be incorrect.
0 Kudos
AnuragSharma
New Contributor
Is it necessary to create an enterprise geodatabase before setting up the arcsde service? I assumed that it was meant to be done
after the service was started.
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Hello Guys...I am new to the sde services provided by esri. I want to connect ArcCatalog 10.2 to my Oracle 11g R2 database using
Till now following are the steps that i have undertaken:

1) Installed Oracle 11g
2) Created a Database named "MASTER"
3) Configured a listener
4) Installed ArcSDE 10.2
5) Default entries regarding the service name and port number have been made in the services file(esri_sde 5151/tcp).
6) The Path environment variable has been set keeping %SDEHOME%/Bin as the first entry
7) Create SDE service using sdeservice -o create command.

Is it necessary to create an enterprise geodatabase before setting up the arcsde service? I assumed that it was meant to be done

Yes.

Create a geodatabase by doing one of the following:

-Run the Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool from ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard or Advanced) to create an sde user, default tablespace, and a geodatabase.
-Run a Python script from a computer running ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard or Advanced), ArcGIS Engine with the Geodatabase Update extension, or ArcGIS for Server Enterprise (Standard or Advanced). Depending on which script you run, you might need to create the sde user and tablespace prior to running the script.
-Manually create an sde user and default tablespace in your Oracle database, grant the sde user privileges to create a geodatabase, then connect to the Oracle database from ArcGIS for Desktop (Standard or Advanced) as the sde user and enable geodatabase behavior. See Enabling geodatabase functionality in an Oracle database for instructions.

Next you must install and configure the ArcSDE application server(If you want to use ArcSDE Service).
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

If you are new to this and attempt to create a new geodatabase, it is highly recommended at this point in time to not use an ArcSDE Application Server and ArcSDE services, but instead use Direct Connect.

ArcGIS 10.2 is the last release that will support the ArcSDE Application Server.

See here:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/83644-quot-The-ESRI-Geodatabase-Framework-quot-PDF?p=303021&viewful...

And this for more background regarding the difference between Direct Connect and an ArcSDE Application Server:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/83644-quot-The-ESRI-Geodatabase-Framework-quot-PDF?p=295462&viewful...
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Is it necessary to create an enterprise geodatabase before setting up the arcsde service?.

Actually, it isn't necessary for the geodatabase to be created before the service is created, but it
is necessary to have had geodatabase installation completed before actually starting the service. 

That said, there really is no reason to create an ArcSDE 10.2 application server service, especially
in a new installation environment. All of the old reasons for using application servers have been
eliminated over the past three ArcGIS releases.

Direct Connect is going to give you better performance at a lower cost of ownership, and you're
only one release away from that being the only option.

- V
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Actually, it isn't necessary for the geodatabase to be created before the service is created, but it 
is necessary to have had geodatabase installation completed before actually starting the service.

Fyi Vince...
You can take a look at ArcSDE application server for Oracle installation guide:

Before you install
You must install a database and create a geodatabase in it before you set up an ArcSDE service. Use the Create Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool, the Enable Enterprise Geodatabase geoprocessing tool, or a Python script to create a geodatabase before installing the application server and setting up a service.

Note:
An enterprise geodatabase must exist before you can start an ArcSDE service. If you have not already created a geodatabase, do so now.

Anurag had mentioned that he had Installed ArcSDE 10.2 in his initial post (Step 4). I believe he would have installed 'ArcSDE application server for Oracle' in step 4. He had created a database named 'Master' and it was not a Geodatabase. Thats why I suggested him to use one of the three option to create a Geodatabase. His question regarding the sequence of setting up the ArcSDE service was after my above answer.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
It's obvious why the documentation says you should put the horse before the cart,
but in fact, it is possible to create both Unix and Windows services without the
geodatabase to which the service will connect.  You can't, of course, connect to
the unpopulated geodatabase, but you can create a broken service (folks do
this all the time).

Back when I created services on Windows, I usually created the service first,
since it populated the ORACLE_SID in dbinit.sde (which often needed to be
changed anyway, especially back in 'sdesetup -o install' days).  I've quite
literally done this hundreds of times.

So, while you certainly shouldn't bother with application servers, and if you do
set out to create an application server service, you should always enable the
enterprise geodatabase first, but if you still choose to create the service first,
then there still exists a chance that you haven't yet hopelessly misconfigured
your server (provided you immediately complete the geodatabase install).

- V
0 Kudos
AnuragSharma
New Contributor
Hello guys !!
Thanks for your help...
Could your please help me with the steps in creating a enterprise geodatabase.

Presently I have a database
DB: Oracle
Instance: orcl

I am totally confused... And how do i make a sde user? I had used post installation before...It used to
have repository stetup, table space creation etc etc...but now I am not able to do so...
Please guide me step wise...
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Hello guys !!
Thanks for your help...
Could your please help me with the steps in creating a enterprise geodatabase.

Presently I have a database
DB: Oracle
Instance: orcl

I am totally confused... And how do i make a sde user? I had used post installation before...It used to
have repository stetup, table space creation etc etc...but now I am not able to do so...
Please guide me step wise...

ArcSDE post installation is no longer available from 10.1 onwards.

I understand that you have an empty Oracle database now. You have to run Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool.

Regarding creating sde user- You have the option in the Create Enterprise Geodatabase tool to enter the sde user and password.
0 Kudos